Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions

How will I receive my refund?
All registered students receive a Refund Selection Kit through the mail to the address that is on file at the University. Visit, click the "LET'S GET STARTED" green box, and enter your Personal Code included in the Refund Selection Kit, then you will be given two options in which you can receive your refund: opening a BankMobile Vibe Account (same business day deposit) or ACH Transfer (funds transfer in 1-2 business days).

Visit the TAMIU Refund Selection Kit Website for more information.

I'm a transfer student and I already have a BankMobile Vibe account from my previous school. What do I need to do in order to transfer my funds from TAMIU?
For merging your accounts or transferring funds between accounts. Please contact Campus Card Services at 956-326-2877 or email

When will I receive my refund?
It varies by student. It is highly recommended that students log-on to UConnect to view their account summary by term to check if a refund has been processed. Initial refunds are processed after the census date of each semester; after the 12th class day during the fall and spring semesters and after the 4th class day during summer sessions I and II.

Who qualifies for financial aid?
Anyone can be eligible for some type of finanial aid if they meet the general qualifications under Do I Qualify? To receive federal and state aid, students must be in compliance with our Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy.

What is your school code?
Our school code is 009651

How do I apply for work study?
Students interested in work study positions need to apply online at Dusty Works. Students MUST have a complete financial aid folder to be considered for employment.

Who qualifies for federal student loans?
Students must complete a FAFSA, not be in default on any federal student loan, be in compliance with our SAP Policy, attend ENTRANCE counseling at TAMIU and complete a Master Promissory Note, have all financial aid requirements complete and enroll for at least 6 hours per semester in order to be eligible for a Federal Direct Loan.

What types of grants and loans are available?
There are institutional, state and federal grants and federal and state loans available. For specific information, see our Grants and Loans pages.

What do I need to do if I am transferring from another institution? How do I transfer my financial aid?
General financial aid does not transfer with a student. Students transferring from another institution must add our our school code (009651) to their FAFSA in order for us to determine their eligibility for aid. Students receiving aid from a specific state program such as TEXAS Grant, Top 10% Scholarship or the Be-On Time Loan Program should notify the financial aid office as soon as possible, as state funding is limited and renewal awards for transfer students cannot be guaranteed. You will need to submit an award letter from your previous school showing that you received aid from that program. Our office will confirm your eligibility for a renewal award with the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.

Should I apply even though I might not qualify?
Yes, students are encouraged to fill out a FAFSA even if they feel they might not qualify. Most students qualify for some type of aid whether it be grants, scholarships or student loans.

Are emergency loans available?
Yes. Emergency loans are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Students must be enrolled before they apply for emergency loans. There are two types of emergency loans-Emergency Tuition Loans and Book Loans. Students who have enough financial aid to cover their account balance do not need to apply for an emergency tution loan. Furthermore, if you need to buy your books before any leftover aid is refunded, you can charge them at the bookstore, so you do not an emergency book loan. Click here for more information on purchasing your books with financial aid

The Business Office processes Emergency Tuition and Book Loans. A fee must first be paid at the Business Office for both types prior to the processing of the loan(s). Students who have an outstanding balance from a previous emergency loan are not eligible for additional loans.

What are your office hours?
Monday and Tuesday from 8:00am to 5:00pm, Wednesday and Thursday from 8:00am to 7:00pm, and Friday from 8:00am to 3:00pm.

I am a transfer student who was denied financial aid at my last institution, can I qualify at TAMIU?
Students who are transferring from another institution may qualify for financial aid at our institution if they have a complete financial aid folder and meet TAMIU's Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.

May I speak to a director?
Yes, students may speak with an Associate Director or with the Financial Aid Director as needed.

Is my folder complete?
Students can log-on to Uconnect to view the status of their financial aid folder. Click on the "My Business" tab and any outstanding Financial Aid Requirements are displayed on the left hand side.

Do I have any financial aid holds?
Students can log-on to Uconnect to see if they have any financial aid holds. Click on the "My Business" tab then click on the "Holds" link in the Financial Aid Requirements box on the left hand side.

What is the difference between an Emergency loan and a Stafford Loan?
Emergency loans are offered from institutional funding (TAMIU) and need to be paid back by mid semester. A student does not need to be eligible for financial aid in order to apply for an emergency loan.

Stafford loans are federally funded and students must meet certain eligibility reqirements to qualify (see "Who qualifies for Stafford Loans?") Students have six months after they graduate or drop below 6 hours of enrollment before the first payment is due on their loan.

Can I receive Pell Grant even if I am enrolled for only 3 hours?
Yes, as long as you have a complete financial aid folder, meet the SAP policy and your EFC (Expected Family Contribution) is less than 3501 for the 2016-2017 academic year.

All I want are loans, do I still need to submit a FAFSA?
Yes. All federally funded programs, including Stafford Loans, require students to submit a FAFSA. Because the government makes these loans available to students on a non-credit basis, students must meet federal eligiblity requirements and these are verified through the FAFSA application.

How do I buy my books?
Students who are receiving financial aid can purchase their books and supplies at the University Bookstore by charging them to their student account. Students must have a complete financial aid folder, be registered for classes and their amount of aid must exceed the total tuition and fee charges for the semester. You will need to present your TAMIU ID card to the University Bookstore.

Bookstore purchases begin on:

   Fall semester: July 25th

   Spring semester: December 1st

   Summer terms: one week prior to first class day

Please see Purchasing Books with Financial Aid for more information.

If you do not have financial aid, please contact the Business Office for an emergency book loan.

Texas A&M International University
Zaffirini Student Success Center Suite 214
5201 University Blvd.
Laredo, TX 78041

Phone (956) 326-2225
Fax (956) 326-2224