02.01 Board of Regents
Approved February 27, 1995 (MO 44-95), Revised September 26, 1997 (MO 181-97), Revised July 23, 1999 (MO 197-99)
1. Responsibilities of the Board
The Board of Regents accepts and adopts the following role and responsibilities assigned by law to governing boards of institutions of higher education:
1.1 The Board shall provide the policy direction for the System and its component universities, agencies and the health science center. The Board shall formulate, update, adopt and publish official policies for the System through the Office of the Executive Secretary to the Board on a regular basis.
1.2 The Board, being composed of lay members, shall exercise the traditional and time-honored role for such boards as their role has evolved in the United States and shall constitute the keystone of the governance structure. In this regard the Board:
(1) shall preserve institutional independence and shall defend its right to manage its own affairs through its chosen administrators and employees;
(2) shall enhance the public image of each institution under its governance;
(3) shall interpret the community to each campus and interpret the campus to the community;
(4) shall nurture each institution under its governance to the end that each institution achieves its full potential within its role and mission; and
(5) shall insist on clarity of focus and mission of each institution under its governance.
1.3 In addition to other powers and duties assigned in law, the Board shall:
(1) establish, for each institution under its control and management, goals consistent with the role and mission of the institution;
(2) appoint the Chancellor of the System;
(3) appoint and periodically evaluate the president of each university, director of each agency and the president of the health science center and assist each chief executive officer (CEO) in the achievement of performance goals;
(4) set campus admission standards consistent with the role and mission of the institution and considering the admission standards of similar institutions nationwide having a similar role and mission, as determined by the coordinating board; and
(5) ensure that its formal position on matters of importance to the institutions under its governance is made clear to the Coordinating Board when such matters are under consideration by the Coordinating Board.
1.4 Each member of the Board has the legal responsibilities of a fiduciary in the management of funds under the control of institutions subject to the Board’s control and management.
1.5 In fulfilling the responsibilities in paragraph 1.3(3), the Board shall receive recommendations from the Chancellor, and in paragraph 1.3(4) the Board shall receive recommendations from the respective presidents, agency directors and the Chancellor.
2. Office of the Board of Regents
2.1 The Board appoints the Executive Secretary to the Board. The Executive Secretary to the Board is responsible for the management and operation of the Office of the Board of Regents under the direction of the Chairman of the Board. The Executive Secretary to the Board is authorized to process and recommend the approval of vouchers for the expenditure of funds allocated to the Office of the Board of Regents. The vouchers shall be reviewed for consistency with System and state purchasing and accounting requirements and approved by the System Office of Budgets and Accounting before being forwarded for payment. The Executive Secretary to the Board shall work cooperatively with the Chancellor in all matters related to official actions by the Board, including the planning and establishment of agenda for meetings, presentation and distribution of informational materials, and related functions.
2.2 Mission, Objectives, and Goals of the Office of Board of Regents:
The purpose of the Office of the Board of Regents is to provide staff support to each member of the Board in the discharge of his or her responsibilities.
(1) make arrangements for all meetings of the Board and its committees, and all special events hosted by the Board, including arrangements for regents’ travel;
(2) under the direction of the Chairman of the Board, or the Chairman of a standing committee, prepare and distribute the agenda and necessary supporting documentation for all meetings of the Board and its committees and post notices of all meetings, and the subject matter, as required by law;
(3) record, prepare, and index the official minutes of the Board and its committees and distribute copies thereof;
(4) keep on file all official records, documentary files, correspondence and proceedings of the Board and its committees;
(5) prepare vouchers for payment to vendors and reimbursements to regents and maintain all accounting documents; and
(6) assist regents as requested with matters affecting students, faculty, staff, legislators, governmental officials and visitors.
2.2.3 The Board shall annually establish goals for the Office of the Board of Regents, and shall evaluate the performance of staff in relation to goal accomplishment.
2.3 The Executive Secretary to the Board may be directed by the Board Chairman, chairs of Board committees, or individual Board members to assist them by collecting information and reports from the Chancellor and CEO or members of their respective staffs, and may make other requests to such persons on behalf of the Board. It is the responsibility of the Chancellor and CEOs to respond to such requests in a timely manner.
CONTACT OFFICE: Office of the Board of Regents