Office of Continuing EducationMenu
Legal Nurse Consultant Training Course
The program prepares medical professionals for a career in the legal field as legal nurse consultants. Building on your medical education and possible clinical experience, this course provides the RN and PA with fundamental skills necessary to advise law firms, health care providers, insurance companies, and governmental agencies regarding medically related issues and to appear in court as expert witnesses. The course teaches legal concepts related to the health care industry, as well as the role a legal nurse consultant might play in litigation areas such as medical malpractice, toxic torts, products liability, personal injury, wrongful death, criminal law, and workers' compensation. Any RN or PA interested in entering the legal field can benefit from the education provided by this course.
The course is also open to anyone interested in the field of forensic testimony and medical-legal issues, but participants without an RN or PA background might not be able to take the LNCC exam after graduation. Legal Nurse Consultant Certified (LNCC) is a discretionary test separate from this training course that experienced registered nurses graduating from this course may decide to sit for. LNCC test eligibility requirements are discussed during this training course; however, RNs graduating from this course need not take the LNCC in order to practice as legal nurse consultants.
A registered nurse can work as a legal nurse consultant in a variety of different capacities:
- Full or part-time as an employee of a law firm;
- Full or part-time as an independent contractor to a law firm;
- Full or part-time in the clinical setting and consulting with a law firm, and/or testifying as an expert witness on a part time basis; and
Full or part-time as an employee with an insurance company or hospital in risk management.
NOTE: In order to complete the requirements for the certificate you are required to complete one session in it’s entirety.
2014 Online Sessions:
January 13, 2014 February 28, 2014 March 10, 2014 April 25, 2014 May 05, 2014 June 20, 2014 June 30, 2014 August 15, 2014 August 25, 2014 October 10, 2014 October 20, 2014 December 5, 2014
2015 Online Sessions:
Start End January 12, 2015 February 27, 2015
For Payment Options visit Center for Legal Studies
or call 1(800) 522-7737
Find the syllabus here.
Course Books Required Text:
- Legal Nurse Consulting: Principles and Practices, 3rd Edition, (2 Volume Set) edited by Ann M. Peterson, EdD, MSN, RN, FNP-BC, LNCC
- Lynda Kopishke, MSN, RN, LNCC, and published by the American Association of Legal Nurse Consultants which is available from The Center for Legal Studies Bookstore for $157.
Highly Recommended Legal Resources:
- WESTLAW online legal research access, available for only $75.00.
- Black's Law Dictionary 3rd Pocket Ed.
- Ballentine's Legal Dictionary and Thesaurus
***This continuing nursing education activity is approved by the Colorado Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. ***
***Successful graduates will receive a certificate for 42 contact hours of continuing nursing education from The Center for Legal Studies that they may be able to use to fulfill continuing education requirements. ***