Office of Continuing EducationMenu
Accounting Assistant Certification Course©
This eight-week online program helps you develop strong communication and quantitative skills while becoming acclimated with accounting details and ethics. The Accounting Assistant profession is one of the largest growth occupations in the economy, according to the most recent U.S Department of Labor’s Occupational Outlook Handbook. This intensive professional Certificate course prepares you for work as an accounting clerk, bookkeeper, or auditing clerk. Successful graduates will receive a Certificate and will have the skill set needed to work with CPAs, large corporations, small businesses, or as an independent contractor.
Required Course Text: College Accounting, 10th Edition (Chapters 1—12) + Using QuickBooks Pro 2010 for Accounting (with CD-ROM), 9th Edition (by Bille McQuaig, et al.)
Length: 8 weeks, online
Click on the session you would like to register for
Start End March 18 May 19 May 27 July 28 August 5 October 6 Session 4 October 14 December 15
Start End Session 1 January 6 March 3 Session 2 March 17 May 18 Session 3 May 26 July 27 Session 4 August 4 October 5 Session 5 October 13 December 14
Course Hours: 100 - 8 weeks
Course Creators: Scott A. Hatch, JD, and Lisa Zimmer Hatch, MA
Required Text: Bookkeepers' Boot Camp: Get a Grip on Accounting Basics
Upon completion of the reading assignments, written assignments, and tests, students will have learned:
- The origins of this important new profession
- The job duties inherent in the position of accounting assistant
- Generally Accepted Accounting Principles ("GAAP")
- How to establish the record keeping system
- How to prepare balance sheets, income statements, and cash flow statements
- How to record sale and purchase cycles
- How to keep track of inventory and capital assets
- How to reconcile with your bank
- How to distinguish gross from net profits
- How to distinguish accounts payable from notes payable
- The accrual method, cash method, and other creative accounting methods
- The meanings of cash statements, fixed assets, capitalization, and depreciation
- Tax structures and liquidation
- Methods for improving profits in your business
- Possible roles for an external accountant
Sallie Mae Career Training LoanSM
The Career Training LoanSM has been designed specifically to help you finance your education or training and offers hundreds of dollars in savings over other financing options. It can be used for distance learning or other continuing education programs to cover the total cost of education and related expenses, and loan applications can often be completed within minutes. www.salliemae.com/tamiucontedu
No refunds to Sallie Mae Loans after the start of class.
For payment plan option contact Continuing Education at 956-326-3068 to set up automatic withdrawal payment plan.
***All classes are subject to cancellation if there is insufficient number of attendees. ***
***CANCELLATIONS AND SUBSTITUTIONS***
The course may not be dropped once enrolled. Material has been made available and instruction programmed. Full payment for class must be paid by the student.
For assistance registering please contact Continuing Education at 956-326-3068 or email information and inquiries to: ContinuingEducaiton@tamiu.edu.
For additional information contact:
5201 University Boulevard, Pellegrino Hall 301
Laredo, TX 78041
Tel. 956.326.3068 — Fax 956.326.2838
Office Hours: Mon. - Fri., 8 AM - 5 PM