Office of Continuing EducationMenu
Clinical Medical Assistant
This program prepares students to assist physicians by performing
functions related to the clinical aspects of a medical office.
Instruction includes preparing patients for examination and treatment,
routine laboratory procedures, pharmacology, taking and documenting
vital signs, technical aspects of phlebotomy, the 12-lead EKG and the
cardiac life cycle.
Length: 780.00 Hours (Online)
*We offer open enrollment in which students can sign up at any time. Students can proceed as fast or slow as they want, but must complete the program in a maximum of 6 months.*
The Clinical Medical Assisting Program
The purpose of the Clinical Medical Assisting program is to prepare students to assist physicians by performing functions related to the clinical aspects of a medical office. This course covers the following key areas and topics:
- Clinical responsibilities of the medical office – assisting the physician with patient related care
- Preparing patients for examination and treatment, routine procedures and diagnostic testing
- HIPAA, patient confidentiality, legal aspects of healthcare and regulatory patient care issues
- Recording and taking of vital signs, blood pressure, and other patient care items related to the physician office visit
- Review and administration of medications, allergies and other pharmacology related items
- Laboratory procedures, phlebotomy and the proper techniques required to collect specimens for laboratory analysis
- Cardiology and the proper placement of leads when taking a 12 lead EKG
Education and Certification
- Clinical Medical Assistants should have or be pursuing a high school diploma or GED.
- Students who complete this comprehensive course would be prepared to sit for the National Healthcareer Association (NHA) Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA) national certification examination.
- In addition to facilitating entry-level clinical medical assisting related positions, this course is ideal for students interested in pursuing a future formal Certified Medical Assistant (CMA), Nursing (LPN) or a Nursing (RN) program.
Detailed Course Topics Covered
- Responsibilities of the clinical medical assistant and introduction to healthcare facilities
- Medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, circulation of the heart and blood vessels
- Care & safety of patients, medical & legal aspects of care, confidentiality and HIPAA
- Effective verbal and non-verbal communication, interpersonal skills and human behavior
- Aseptic techniques, infection prevention, universal precautions, proper use and disposal of biohazards and sharps
- Documenting patient medical histories, updating patient medical files, vital signs and documentation
- Appling sterile dressings, preparing patients for x-rays, performing various injections, administering oral medications, instructing patients on the proper usage of medications
- Phlebotomy, venipunctures and capillary sampling, collecting specimens and point of care testing
- Performing 12 lead EKGs and EKG strip analysis (P,Q,R,S,T wave form)
In partnership with Condensed Curriculum Inc.
Funding for Courses:
Sallie Mae Career Training LoanSM
The Career Training LoanSM has been designed specifically to help you finance your education or training and offers hundreds of dollars in savings over other financing options. It can be used for distance learning or other continuing education programs to cover the total cost of education and related expenses, and loan applications can often be completed within minutes. www.salliemae.com/tamiucontedu
No refunds to Sallie Mae Loans after the start of class.