TAMIU Symphonic Band
FPA 116 B
What is Symphonic Band? The TAMIU Symphonic Band includes both music majors and non-majors that play wind or percussion instruments.
- Do I get credit? Yes, this counts towards your music degree and for non-music majors, band will satisfy your elective credit in fine arts
- What if I do not own an instrument? TAMIU provides high quality instruments for all band students to check out each semester
- When does Symphonic Band meet? Symphonic Band meets Tuesdays and Thursdays 5:30-6:45 in CPFA 134.
- What music do we play? The band performs both traditional and new music for band resulting in a challenging and varied concert program.
- When do we play? The Symphonic Band performs a public concert in the Recital Hall each semester as well as the Fall and Spring Commencement Ceremonies.
- Do I need to audition? Auditions will be held during the first week of school FALL semester for chair placement within the band. Music will be posted on the Band web page for download by July 10 for the following school year.
Questions? Contact Dr. Moyer
Audition Music for 2016-17:
Band auditions Thursday 8/25 starting at 5:00 - Percussion Auditions Tuesday, 8/30 starting at 12:30.
Winds should be prepared to play Concert B flat and E flat scales full range, any rhythm.
- Flute - 9-end of 25: quarter note = 96
- Clarinet beginning to end of 25: quarter note = 96
- Alto Sax beginning to 48: half note = 120
- Trumpet beginning to 81: half note = 120, count just 2 measure rest at 49
- Horn B to fermata before C, quarter note = 60; F - I, quarter note = 144
- Trombone beginning to 48: half note = 120
- Euphonium beginning to 81: half note = 120, count just 2 measure rest at 49
- Tuba beginning to 48: half note = 120
- Percussion snare, as written; marimba, 6/8 dotted quarter = 84, Cut time, half note - 84.