WHAT IS ADA?
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 prohibits discrimination on the basis of a disability. TAMIU is committed to maintaining an accessible campus community and providing reasonable accommodations to qualified employees.
TAMIU ADA COORDINATOR
If you need an ADA workplace accommodation or need information regarding ADA, please contact the TAMIU ADA Coordinator (contact information below). Personal information that may be exchanged in an effort to receive a reasonable accommodation under the ADA will be treated in a confidential manner.
Lauren A. Jones, Director of Equal Opportunity & Diversity | ADA Coordinator
Office of Compliance
5201 University Boulevard, Laredo, TX 78041-1900
Killam Library Building, Room 159B
REPorTING AN aDA CONCERN
Employees may submit reports of discrimination based on a disability that involve accessibility to programs and facilities or discrimination in programs and activities to the ADA Coordinator. If you are experiencing difficulty accessing a TAMIU location due to a disability, please identify the specific campus location and the access issue.
REQUESTING AN ADA WORKPLACE REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION
Employees submit requests for ADA workplace reasonable accommodations to the ADA Coordinator. A meeting will be scheduled with the ADA Coordinator to discuss the process. You may be asked for additional information so that your request can be directed to the appropriate office(s) for response. Some requests may involve the services of more than one office. The ADA Coordinator will assist in coordinating the services provided by other offices. The following outlines the process:
- Review the current Position Description (PD) and determine the functions of the job which you cannot do or can do only with difficulty.
- Complete the ADA Request for Accommodation Form to include information on your disability and the requested accommodation.
- Submit the completed ADA Request for Accommodation Form to the ADA Coordinator.
- Meet with the ADA Coordinator to discuss the request process and determine if an Authorization for Limited Release of Medical Information is necessary.
- Have healthcare provider complete the form called ADA Compliance Form in Response to an Accommodation Request and ensure it is submitted to the ADA Coordinator.
Employee’s/Applicant’s Healthcare Provider Responsibilities
- Review the essential job functions of the job based upon the current Position Description (PD) that is attached to ADA Compliance Form in Response to an Accommodation Request.
- Complete and sign the form called ADA Compliance Form in Response to an Accommodation Request and return it to the employee/applicant or the TAMIU ADA Coordinator.
ADA Coordinator Responsibilities
- Review with the employee the request process and determine if an Authorization for Limited Release of Medical Information is necessary.
- Provide and explain to the employee/applicant the ADA Request for Accommodation Form and the form called ADA Compliance Form in Response to an Accommodation Request.
- Provide confirmation of receipt of the request for accommodation.
- Review the 2 completed forms and determine:
- If the individual has a disability as defined by the ADA;
- If the employee/applicant is a qualified person with a disability;
- Whether or not the requested accommodation is reasonable;
- Whether or not the requested accommodation will enable the employee/applicant to meet the essential functions of the job; and
- Whether or not there are other reasonable accommodations that are equally effective.
- Notify the employee in writing of the determination and follow up as needed and appropriate.
REPORTING AN ADA CONCERN
Texas A&M University System Regulation 08.01.01, Civil Rights Compliance protects against discrimination based on disability status, as well as race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity. Employees may submit reports of discrimination based on a disability that involve accessibility to programs and facilities or discrimination in programs and activities to the ADA Coordinator, via Report It, via EthicsPoint, or to the Equal Opportunity Commission Office-San Antonio, Legacy Oaks, Building A, 5410 Fredericksburg Road, Suite 200, San Antonio, TX 78229, 1-800-669-4000.
Title IX Office
Killam Library, Room 159B
5201 University Boulevard
Laredo, Texas 78041
Telephone: (956) 326-2857
Facsimile: (956) 326-2359