There are many distance learning resources available for TAMIU faculty on campus. This page has a summary of some of those resources as well as some other helpful tidbits of information.
We provide opportunities for faculty to learn how to use instructional technologies in their distance learning courses and in their research. We offer a full range of support, maintenance, and training for both instructional services and course development, including:
- Workshops offered at no cost with hands-on training.
- Training and assistance at OIT, designated training rooms or instructor offices.
- Personal consultations in rooms with equipment for instructors to use.
- Technical support for LMS and other instructional software.
- Training for entire departments and LMS orientations for students.
- Informational handouts and other online resources.
Our training topics emphasize instructional design and multimedia development that facilitate distance learning. Supported software and instructional devices include, but are not limited to:
Learning Management System (LMS)
- LMS Overview
- LMS workshops include but are not limited to Navigation, Assessments, Rubrics and Gradebook.
Camtasia & SnagIt
- ECHO 360 captures class lectures and converts them into podcasts, video, rich media and more for anytime, anywhere playback.
- Use Photo Story 3 for Windows to create visually compelling and fun stories using your pictures and music.
- "Portfolios collect and organize pieces of work completed over time. They are compilations of work with a general purpose or goal to showcase progress and achievement." - Blackboard website
- TurnItIn is an easy-to-use Web-based application that can be used to help detect and prevent plagiarism. Best of all TurnItIn is integrated into ANGEL. For more details, refer to the TurnItIn Web site.
- "VoiceThread bridges the gap between real-time discussions and standard video lectures or online presentations. This makes VoiceThread the platform for teaching, learning, training, and collaborating, on-demand." - VoiceThread website
Although walk-ins are welcome, instructors are encouraged to set up appointments to ensure that necessary resources, materials, and training staff are available for assistance. To request an appointment, email us at email@example.com or contact us at 956.326.2792.
For a list of upcoming workshops, please visit: https://oitprofessionaldevelopment.tamiu.edu.
- Logitech Quickcam Pro Webcams
- Sony 10 MP Cameras
- Video Cameras
- Flip Cameras
- Presentation Clickers
Books for Checkout
- Adobe Photshop CS4: Advanced
- Adobe Photshop CS4: Advanced
- ADOBE Photoshop CS4 - Student Manual
- Assessing the Online Learner: Resources and Strategies for Faculty
- Classroom Assessment Techniques: A Handbook for College Teachers 2nd ed
- Conquering the Content: A Step-by-Step Guide to Online Course Design
- Image Management & Multimedia: Student Project Book Vol 1
- Image Management & Multimedia: Student Project Book Vol 2
- Image Management & Multimedia: Student Project Book Vol 3
- Learn Adobe Premiere Elements in 3 Days
- Learn Adobe Premiere Elements in 6 Days
- Simple SMART Skills for teacher productivity and student engagement
- Teaching and Learning at a Distance: Foundations of Distance Education 4th ed
- Teaching at its Best: A Research-Based Resource for College Instructors 3rd ed
- The Plagiarism Handbook: Strategies for Preventing, Detecting, and Dealing with Plagiarism
- Using Technology with Classroom Instruction that Works
- What the Best College Teachers Do
- Lead Right:Every leader's Straight-Talk Guide to Job Success
- Engaging the Online Learner:Activities and Resources for Creative Instruction
- Cultivating Leadership in School:Connecting, People, Purpose, and Practice
- Doing Qualitative Research:Second Edition
- The New Meaning of Educational Change: Fourth Edition
- Assistive Technology in the Classroom: Echancing the School Eperiences of student with Disabilities
- Quickstart Guide
- Connection Test
- Intro Template
- Audio Setup Wizard
- Using Voice over IP (VoIP) Audio
- Meeting Roles and User Interface Overview
- How do I create a meeting?
- How do I share a screen?
- How do I use remote desktop?
- How do I share a PowerPoint?
- How do I share Adobe Presenter content?
- How do I record a meeting?
- Quickstart Guide
- Getting Started with Presenter
- Understanding Presenter Settings
- Adding Quizzes and Survey
- Instructor Quickstart Guide
- Instructor Reference Manual
- Whiteboard Quick Reference
- HTML Editor Reference
How do I...
- Add content to my course?
- Add a discussion forum?
- Add a dropbox?
- Add a file?
- Add a folder?
- Add a link?
- Add an exam taht I created using a Test Bank from my book's CD?
- Add/remove nuggets from my course homepage?
- Add a team?
- Change the standard icons used in ANGEL?
- Check the student's reponses from a quiz?
- Give a class access to my repository?
- Group my courses by semester?
- Identify members of a team?
- Insert an e-Article into Angel?
- Link content from an LOR?
- Link videos found in my LOR?
- Organize items in columns?
- Rearrange course items?
- Reorder assignment in a gradebook?
- Restrict assessment acesses to a specific IP address?
- Take attendance for my course?
- Upload a PowerPoint presentation?
- My homepage displays all text and my course tabs disappear.
- Why does "The page cannot be found" message appear when trying to open a file attached to an e-mail
- SoftChalk Create 9 Guide
- How to Create a Lesson
- How to Create Multiple-Page Lessons
- How to Add Interactive Activities
- How to Package a Lesson
- How do I setup a Turnitin drop box in Spanish?
- How do I create a Turnitin Assignment?
- How do I create a Revision Assignment?
- How do I create a PeerMark Assignment?
- How can I submit Papers for my students?
- How do I use the Turnitin Assignment inbox?
- How do I navigate the PeerMark Assignment inbox?
- How do I use the Originality Report?
- How do I use Grademark?
eLearning Best Practices
- Discussion Management Tips for Online Educators
- Fair Use and Copyright
- Disability Services Office
Instructional Technology & Distance Education Services
Office of Information Technology
Killam Library 259
E- mail: firstname.lastname@example.org