GREAT seeks to increase the number of Hispanic students who complete
a graduate degree and are prepared to attain a doctoral degree or
professional career in behavioral, biological, or mathematical
sciences. GREAT activities are planned to address the following
• Retention: Participating fellows will be
retained in the program to completion of their degree.
• Engagement: Graduates will present their
research findings in a regional or national conference.
• Graduation: Students will successfully
complete the Master’s program in 30 months.
To achieve these objectives, GREAT employs the following strategies:
• Provides significant funding, up to
$17,000.00 per year, to graduate
students throughout their graduate career at TAMIU.
• Provides academic research opportunities to
graduate students by working with a faculty mentor.
• Provides stimulating research environments
by renowned scientists in the target disciplines.
• Provides students with the academic tools to
develop research projects of publishable quality.
• Improves the departmental research and
enhances library infrastructure.
• Provides professional development activities
for graduate faculty and mentors.
• Provides a graduate student office for the
development of an academic community.
Thank you for your interest in our Title V PPOHA and the GREAT
Program. Please download
an application and submit it to:
Graduate Retention Enhancement
at TAMIU (GREAT) Department of Behavioral Sciences Texas A&M International
University Laredo, TX 78041
For additional information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
or call (956)
326-2637. Candidates chosen for this initiative will be contacted via