Library Services & General Information for Visitors & Alumni
The following services are available free of charge to all visitors & alumni:
- Access to library books and other materials in open collections
- Assistance in locating collections and services
- Reference assistance including basic instruction for the online catalog
- Guest access to computers on the first floor of the Killam Library
- Guest access to WiFi
The following services are not available to visitors & alumni:
- Interlibrary loan services
- Access to Course Reserve materials
- Remote access to our licensed databases
- Use of study rooms (Alumni only)
Categories of visitors that are eligible for a library card and additional services:
- TAMIU Alumni: alumni, with a TAMIU ID card that shows their status as “Alumni”, have circulation and study room privileges. Alumni must show proof of address and fill out an application. Library database access is available only while on campus, via library computers or WiFi. Find out more about study rooms.
- Community Members: community members can purchase cards which entitle them to circulation privileges. A community member must demonstrate local residency, fill out an application form, and pay $25 for a membership card for 1 year. Only individuals who are at least 18 years of age can apply. Only individuals, not groups, may be issued a community member card. Holders of community cards are also eligible for WiFi access through the Office of Information Technology (OIT).
- Patrons of Other TexShare Institutions or Public Libraries: students, community, faculty, and staff of other institutions can bring TexShare cards to Killam Library and expect to use Killam Library as if they were community, students, faculty, and staff at TAMIU.
- Educator Courtesy Card: area educators will be given cards which entitle them to circulation privileges. Teachers, nurses, counselors, and administrators of public schools in LISD and UISD are eligible. An educator must prove employment by one of the local school districts and fill out an application for a card which is good for 1 year (there is no fee for courtesy cards).
- Laredo Community College: LCC students, faculty, and staff can use their LCC ID for circulation privileges. They must provide proof of address and fill out an application form. Circulation privileges are good for 1 year. LCC affiliates can also use library databases with guest access while on campus, via library computers or WiFi.
- Visiting Scholars: Scholars have access to a number of library privileges, similar to TAMIU Faculty, including interlibrary loan. Scholars must be pre-approved by the university and have a TAMIU ID before privileges can be granted. More information can be found here.