Holiday Shows at TAMIU
LBV Planetarium Continue
Take a break from shopping and wrapping and enjoy a show or two at the Texas A&M International University Lamar Bruni Vergara Planetarium. The recently premiered “Holiday Music Magic” and other audience favorites are on the show schedule this month.
“Holiday Music Magic” features a variety of festive classics from Mannheim Steamroller, Burl Ives and Brenda Lee. The soundtrack is visually enhanced with three 3-D artistic animation and all-dome scenery in the audiovisual setting of the Planetarium’s dome theater.
“Season of Light” traces the history and development of many of the world's most endearing and familiar holiday customs, all of which involve lighting up the winter season—from the burning Yule log, sparkling Christmas tree lights and candles in windows, to the lighting of luminaries in the American Southwest and the traditional ritual of the Hanukkah Menorah. The show also recounts the historical, religious and cultural rituals practiced during the time of the winter solstice, not only Christian and Jewish, but also Celtic, Pagan, Nordic, Roman, Egyptian and Hopi.
Other shows on the schedule are:
- “Star Signs” examines the origins of astronomy and astrology while exploring the constellations.
- “Seven Wonders” takes audiences back in time to witness the ancient wonders of the world.
- “New Horizons” explores the planets and moons of the solar system in a majestic journey though the celestial neighborhood.
- “Destination Saturn,” an excellent program for children in intermediate and upper grades, takes a look at hour our understanding of this planet has changed over history.
- “U2: A Digital Dome Experience” features one of the greatest bands of the last two decades in a full-dome production that features U2’s timeless classics and modern hits set to lighting and animation effects using the latest in CGI technology.
The following is the LBV Planetarium schedule:
- Friday, Dec. 12: “New Horizons” at 6 p.m. and “Holiday Music Magic” at 7 p.m.
- Saturday, Dec. 13: “Season of Light” at 6 p.m., “Holiday Music Magic” at 7 p.m. and “Seven Wonders” at 8 p.m.
- Friday, Dec. 19: “Extreme Planets” at 6 p.m. and “Holiday Music Magic” 7 p.m.
- Saturday, Dec. 20: “Season of Light” at 6 p.m., “Holiday Music Magic” at 7 p.m. and “U2: Digital Dome Experience” at 8 p.m.
- Tuesday, Dec. 22: “Star Signs” at 3 p.m. and “Holiday Music Magic” at 4 p.m.
- Wednesday, Dec. 23: “Destination Saturn” at 1 p.m. and “Holiday Music Magic” at 7 p.m.
General admission tickets are $5 and $4 for children and TAMIU students, faculty, staff and alumni. Season tickets are also available starting at $35.
On Dec. 22 and 23, the LBV will offer a special price: buy one ticket and get one free.
The LBV Planetarium will be closed starting Wednesday, Dec. 24 and re-open Friday, Jan. 23.
For a complete show schedule, call 326.2444, go to tamiu.edu/coas/planetarium or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Journalists who need additional information or help with media requests
and interviews should contact the Office of Public Relations, Marketing and Information
Services at email@example.com