If your plans for this weekend are void of music appreciation, a mariachi music competition to be held at Texas A&M International University Saturday, March 2 can fill your heart with traditional Mexican melodies and vivacity.
The Fourth Annual'Fiesta de Mariachi 2002' will be held from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. in the Kinesiology/Convocation Building (Gym).
Dr. Gilberto D. Soto, associate professor of music and chair of the Fine and Performing Arts department, said that the festival will feature high school and middle school bands from throughout the region in a one-day competition.
"We have received more than 20 entries for this competition and look forward to another successful event that showcases the beloved tradition of mariachi music," Dr. Soto said, "Our guest professional mariachi will be Los Arrieros from El Paso, Texas, who will be doing a special presentation to students as well as assisting in the clinics."
Fiesta de Mariachi 2002 participants will vie for first, second and third place awards, as well as sectional awards. A special program will also feature A&M International's award-winning Mariachi Internacional, under the direction of Dr. Rachel Cruz, and a combined performance by contestants.
"The event will provide a fun, family atmosphere and we hope everyone can join us in this celebration of talented youths," Soto said.
Coolers and alcoholic beverages will not be permitted during the event, Soto said.
A preliminary list of high schools and groups to perform includes:
* J.B. Alexander H.S.- Mariachi Galas de Oro (Jerry Quintero-Director)
*Cigarroa H.S.- Mariachi Azteca (Joe Martínez-Director)
* Cigarroa H.S.- Mariachi Azteca II (John Spillane-Director)
* Zapata H.S.- Mariachi Halcon (Joe A. Solíz-Director)
* Roma H.S.- Mariachi Nuevo Santander (Yamil R. Yúñez-Director)
* Edinburg North H.S.- Mariachi Oro de Edinburg North (Manuel Sáenz,
* Oliver Wendell Holmes (Community Group)- Mariachi Alma del Pueblo (Raúl
Garza, Jr.-Director) San Antonio,TX
* William B. Travis H.S.- Rebeldes Del Sur (H. Alvarado, Alex Ramírez, Lee
* Presidio H.S.- Presidio High School Mariachi Band (José "Taro"
* Brackenridge H.S.- Mariachi Aguila de Brackenridge (John Nieto-Director) Brackenridge, TX
* Martin H.S.- Los Tigres del Sur (Francisco Javier Sosa, Diana Degollado-Directors)
* United H.S.- Mariachi Del Mar (Julián Ramón- Director)
* Eagle Pass H.S.- Mariachi Aguilas del Norte (David M. Solís-Director)
* Eagle Pass H.S.-C.C. Winn Campus- Mariachi Aguilas de Oro (Raúl A. González-Director)
* Zapata Jr. High- Mariachi Juvenil Halcon A (Joe Solíz, Juan Villarreal,
* Zapata Jr. High- Mariachi Juvenil Halcon B (Joe Solíz, Juan Villarreal,
Domingo Castañeda, Norma Vela-Directors)
* Roma M.S.- Mariachi Escandón (Yamil R. Yúñez-Director)
* Trautmann M.S.- Mariachi Internacional (Jorge L. García- Director)
* United M.S.- Mariachi Galitas (Graciela Y. González, Hiram I. Gonzales-Directors)
For further information, please contact the Office of Public Affairs and Information services at 326-2180 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. University office hours are 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday through Friday.