Celebrate National Farmworker
Awareness Week at TAMIU
To educate the public about the plight of farmworkers and advocate for them, the College Assistance Migrant Program Organization of Students (CAMPOS) in collaboration with Campus Activity Board (CAB) at Texas A&M International University has planned events for the 2006 National Farmworker Awareness Week.
These events are free and open to the public.
The schedule is as follows:
- Monday, March 27 – Thursday, March 30 — There will be an information table at the Student Center food court from noon – 1 p.m.
- Monday, March 27 — Presentation by U.S. Congressman Henry Cuellar at 9:30 a.m. in the Student Center Theater, room 236; “Harvest of Shame,” the CBS News production broadcast originally aired on Thanksgiving 1960 and will be shown in SC 236 at 7:30 p.m. In this documentary, Edward R. Murrow points out the plight of migrant farm workers in America, including the harsh living conditions, endless travel, low wages, and poor opportunities for their children.
- Tuesday, March 28 — Presentation by Dr. Norma Cantú, former TAMIU professor of English, at 7:30 p.m. in SC 236; “Harvest of Shame” will be shown at 8 p.m. in SC 236.
- Wednesday, March 29 — Presentation by Dr. Robert Heredia at 7:30 p.m. in SC 236; “Harvest of Shame” will be shown at 8 p.m. in SC 236.
- Thursday, March 30 — Enjoy some cake in honor of César E. Chávez’s birthday and listen to TAMIU’s Mariachi Internacional as they perform “Las Mañanitas” and other songs at the SC food court from 12 – 1p.m.; “Harvest of Shame” will be repeated at 7:30 p.m. in SC 2360.
For more information, please contact Efrain Sánchez, College Assistance Migrant Program director at 326.2708, e-mail email@example.com or visit offices in Student Center, room 234.
University office hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Journalists who need additional information or help with media requests
and interviews should contact the Office of Public Relations, Marketing and Information
Services at firstname.lastname@example.org