TAMIU: Yep, There’s an App for That
With the simple swipe of a finger or press of a button, smartphone users have mobile access to Texas A&M International University news, events, sports, photos, campus maps, campus directory and more through the University’s phone application.
The new free “app” is now available to iPhone, Android, Blackberry and iPad users.
The latest tool in the University’s strategic embrace of new and emerging technology, it helps reach today’s fully linked consumer, said Steve Harmon of TAMIU’s Public Relations, Marketing and Information Services office.
“Our student consumers are tech-savvy and tech-dependent and this app provides yet another important linkage between them and the University. It’ll also have relevance for the community at large and anyone interested in TAMIU, its offerings and its initiatives,” Harmon said.
He said the new app also encompasses some of the University’s other existing outreach and social media initiatives.
“We wanted this app to be rich with relevance for a variety of users across the broad spectrum of popular smartphone devices. TAMIU App users will find an RSS news feed, a real-time calendar, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube embeds, a dynamic image gallery, directory, link to Student Activities, campus maps, shopping and more. The app is also open to new features we’ll be rolling out that will further enhance its usability, including a vital mobilized Angel experience in the new year,” he explained.
Among the features in the application:
- News: RSS news feed update featuring the latest University news.
- Events: @TAMIU Events Calendar, which in addition to the academic calendar includes sports events, lectures, music recitals, concerts, dance recitals, art exhibits, community events, camps, professional development and more.
- Images: photos from iconic places around campus.
- Hot Links: links to information for future and current students from class schedules to financial aid and Dusty’s Diner menu.
- Directory Access: employee and faculty directory.
- Social Media: direct access to the University’s Facebook, Twitter and podcasts.
- More: maps, videos, student activities, University catalog, TAMIU bus route and other extras.
The new app was in development over the summer. It can be accessed at: http://www.tamiu.edu/mobile/apps.shtml
For additional information, contact the TAMIU Office of Public Relations, Marketing and Information Services at 956.326.2180, email email@example.com or click on tamiu.edu, visit the University on Facebook or follow TAMIU on Twitter.
Journalists who need additional information or help with media requests
and interviews should contact the Office of Public Relations, Marketing and Information
Services at firstname.lastname@example.org