TAMIU Spirit Week Says
Show Us Your Dustdevil Spirit
Put on your maroon shirt and get ready for “Spirit Week” at Texas A&M International University starting Sunday, Jan. 23 through Thursday, Jan. 27.
“ ‘Spirit Week’ is centered upon bringing all current and former Dustdevils together for a week full of activities and opportunities to connect with new friends and reconnect with old friends,” said Mayra Hernandez, associate director (judicial affairs), Office of Student Affairs.
Activities include a meet and greet, game of horse with the men’s and women’s basketball teams, spirit day, Mr. and Ms. TAMIU elections, tailgating, basketball games and more.
The events are free of charge and open to the public.
General admission tickets to the basketball games are $5, $3 for students and free for TAMIU students with ID.
Hernandez encouraged for everyone to, “Celebrate the new year with a new tradition.”
The schedule is as follows:
Sunday, Jan. 23
- Shopping Cart Decorating Party: kick-off “Sprit Week”! Join students, staff, and alum in the fun by decorating their shopping carts for the 2011 parade.
Monday, Jan. 24
- Meet and Greet: Students will have an opportunity to meet and greet the TAMIU Dustdevil athletic teams. Student Center (SC) patio, 11 a.m.
- Shopping Cart Parade: Start the semester with a bang at this showcase of students’ eco-friendly decorated shopping carts. SC patio, 12:30 p.m.
- Shoot Some Hoops (horse game with basketball teams): Students will have an opportunity to shoot some hoops with the basketball teams. Wear your sneakers. SC patio, 12:45 p.m.
- Maroon Monday: Wear maroon and silver all day to show your school spirit and pride! Keep an eye on the Student Affairs Facebook page for information on how to win “Spirit Week” shirts.
- Court Voting: Students will have an opportunity to vote for this year’s Mr. and Ms. TAMIU!
Tuesday, Jan. 25
- Spirit Day: Wear your maroon or silver homecoming shirt or dress all day and show your school spirit and pride!
- They Got the Look Photo Shoot: Get a free commemorative snapshot of Dusty with the most valuable student at TAMIU, “U!” Tag friends, family, and anyone you wish to be part of your University memories. SC rotunda, 11 a.m.
Wednesday, Jan. 26
- Open Practice – Women’s Basketball Team: See the TAMIU women’s basketball team in action at the Kinesiology-Convocation Building (KCB). Show your school spirit before the big day! 1 p.m.
- Spirit Week Pep-rally: Bring your energy to make sure that everyone knows the ‘Devils are out! SC 12:30 p.m.
- Dustdevils are back!: Go on a campus tour for all alums. See how much the University has grown since you graduated. Contact Yelitza Howard, director, alumni relations, at 326.2171 for tour information.
Thursday, Jan. 27
- Pre-game Tailgate: Join the greatest tailgate that South Texas has ever seen! Come join the Student Athletic Advisory Council (SAAC) for hot dogs, hamburgers and other goodies. KCB garden, 3:30 – 5 p.m.
- TAMIU Women’s Basketball Game: TAMIU vs. St. Mary’s, KCB 5:30 p.m.
- Coronation of Mr. and Ms. TAMIU 2011: See who will become the first ever Mr. and Ms. TAMIU. KCB, 7:15 p.m.
- TAMIU Men’s Basketball Game: TAMIU vs. St. Mary’s, KCB, 8 p.m.
- Championship Ring Ceremony: NCAA Division II Men’s Soccer team will be recognized during the Men’s basketball halftime show in the KCB.
- “Spirit Week” After-Party: Join the reigning Mr. and Ms. TAMIU for a fun-filled after hour dance! Dance the night away and celebrate the men’s soccer team NCAA championship. SC Ballroom, 9 p.m.
“Spirit Week” is sponsored by the TAMIU Student Government Association, TAMIU Campus Activities Board, TAMIU Office of the Vice President for Institutional Advancement, TAMIU Alumni Association, TAMIU Division of Student Success, TAMIU Office of Student Affairs.
For more information, contact Hernandez at 326.2248 or email@example.com or visit offices in SC 226.
University office hours are 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday – Friday.
Additional information is available on Facebook @txamiu.osa and at tamiu.edu/calendar
Journalists who need additional information or help with media requests
and interviews should contact the Office of Public Relations, Marketing and Information
Services at firstname.lastname@example.org