TAMIU Names Student Recipients of
17th Annual University Life Awards
Student contributions of leadership, service and time were recognized at Texas A&M International University's 17th Annual University Life Awards held last week at the Student Center Ballroom.
One of the longest standing of TAMIU traditions, the University Life Awards recognize outstanding leaders in the University community through various awards categories including Outstanding Community Service, Freshman Excellence and Leader of the Year.
Students and their respective awards are as follows:
- Triana González - Senator Judith Zaffirini Scholarship and Leadership Award.
- Valerie López – Freshman Excellence Award, TAMIU Stand, Dance Club, FLO
- Kimberly Martin Del Campo – Advisor of the Year, Model UN of South Texas
- Marlinn Chong – Leader of the Year, Students in Free Enterprise (SIFE)
- Students in Free Enterprise – Outstanding Community Service Award (2,894 service hours)
- Students in Free Enterprise – Student Organization of the Year.
Receiving Student Government Association Awards were:
- Nastaran Barari – Rising Star Award
- The Big Event – Project of the Year
- Dusty Cup – TOMS Campus Club (1st)
- Association of International Students (2nd)
- Sigma Nu Delta (3rd).
Campus Advisory Board Awards were received by:
- Carlos González and Carlos Romo - Rookie of the Year
- Joaquín García - Heart of the Dustdevil
- Claudia Samaniego - Most Valuable Cabbie.
Preceding the awards was the Emerging Leaders Celebration which recognizes individuals who complete Rec Sports Leadership Journey, Freshman Leadership Organization, and Leadership TAMIU requirements. Also acknowledged were contributions of students who served on the Student Conduct Board and Honor Council.
TAMIU University Life Awards are open to members of recognized student organizations on campus and serve as a celebration of accomplishments throughout the academic year. Past recipients include alumni who are doctors, lawyers and educators.
For more information, please contact Gerardo Alva, director of Student Affairs, at 326.2280 or firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the Office of Student Affairs located in Student Center room 226.
University information is also available at www.tamiu.edu and on the University’s social media sites on Facebook, Google+, Twitter and YouTube.
Journalists who need additional information or help with media requests
and interviews should contact the Office of Public Relations, Marketing and Information
Services at email@example.com