Office of Student Conduct and Community EngagementMenu
The Office of Student Conduct and Community Engagement (SCCE) helps coordinate community and volunteer projects to assist the Laredo area and South Texas region. SCCE promotes community engagement as a fundamental part of learning and to cultivate a University commitment to civic engagement and social responsibility.
Our community engagement staff will make promotion of volunteer opportunities and recruitment of student volunteers simple and effective. TAMIU has students on-campus that are willing to go that extra mile to support your organization!
TAMIU Service Traditions
TAMIU currently hosts two large-scale service events each academic year to assist and support our local community.
Our students are excited and ready to partner with your organization to identify and address issues of public concern and promote social responsibility.
Make a Difference Day
- The largest community service day nationwide.
- Occurs every Fall semester on the last Saturday of October.
- Over 220 TAMIU students volunteered during Make a Difference Day 2014.
- Make a Difference Day 2015: Saturday, October 24!
The Big Event
- A service day tradition started by Texas A&M University in 1982 now celebrated by universities nationwide.
- Occurs every Spring semester during March.
- Over 100 TAMIU students volunteered during The Big Event 2014.
The Big Event 2015: Saturday, March 28!
Collaborating with TAMIU as a Signature Partner provides many incentives for your organization! Launching in Fall 2014, Partnership TAMIU is an application-based community engagement agreement designed to enhance existing relationships between TAMIU and external agencies by: helping community partners to meet its agency's mission and goals, promote the exchange of resources between the University and community agency, and exhibit a commitment to social responsibility. The selected Signature Partners sign a one-year Memorandum of Agreement with TAMIU for exclusive collaboration efforts.
- Promotion of volunteer opportunities on TAMIU Community Engagement's website
- Access to set up information tables on campus
- Maintain a relationship with TAMIU students and student organizations
- Participation in TAMIU Service Committee
- Receive first preference to host Make a Difference Day or Big Event initiatives
- Must sign Memorandum of Agreement (MOA)
- Must attend an annual training offered by the Office of Student Conduct and Community Engagement
- Must offer at least one (1) volunteer opportunity per semester for TAMIU students
- Volunteer opportunities must be in compliance with TAMIU risk management policies
How can my agency apply?
SCCE accepts applications for Partnership TAMIU during a specified time period in June for selection during the summer. The selected Signature Partners are signed into agreement for September through August terms. Applications are currently closed. To receive correspondence for upcoming opportunities regarding Partnership TAMIU or to be placed on our database of local agencies, click here.
2014-2015 Founding Signature Partners
- Azteca Economic Development and Preservation Corporation
- Children's Advocacy Center
- Ruthe B. Cowl Rehabilitation Center
- Serving Children and Adults in Need, Inc.
- South Texas Food Bank
- Volunteers Serving the Need
- Voz de Ninos - Court Appointed Special Advocates
Contact us today?
TAMIU's Office of Student Conduct and Community Engagement staff is ready to assist you in connecting your organization to students committed to volunteer efforts and ready to make an impact on Laredo! We look forward to earing from you and learning how we can best support your organization's mission and goals. To learn more about our services, contact SCCE at 956-326-2286, email@example.com or visit Student Center 226, Monday to Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.