Office of Student Conduct and Community EngagementMenu
President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll
Texas A&M International University (TAMIU) has been named to the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll which recognizes the important role universities play in solving community problems through meaningful and measureable student civic engagement in the community.
Presidential Volunteer Service Award
As a new certifying organization for the Corporation for National and Community Service, starting in Fall 2014 TAMIU may award it’s students one of the highest volunteer honors – presidential recognition. The President’s Volunteer Service Award (PVSA) recognizes United States citizens and lawfully admitted permanent residents of the United States who have achieved a specific number of hours.
- Recipients must be United States citizens or lawfully admitted permanent residents of the United States
- Awards are issued for service hours served within a 12-month period or over the course of a lifetime.
- Awards are issued for volunteer service only. Additional levels of participation with the organization, i.e. charitable support, are not a factor considered for the award.
- Court-ordered community service does not qualify for the award.
- Awards are issued by approved Certifying Organizations.
- Service must be with an organization that is legally established in the United States, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico or one of the territories.
- Young Adults (Ages 15-25): 100 to 174 service hours
- Adults (26+): 100 to 249 hours
- Young Adults (Ages 15-25): 175 to 249 hours
- Adults (26+): 250 to 499 hours
- Young Adults (Ages 15-25): 250 hours or more
- Adults (26+): 500 hours or more
- All Ages: 4,000 hours or more
In April of every Spring semester, SCCE will confirm the eligibility of the President’s Volunteer Service Award (PVSA) for all students which have served and reported hours through SCCE via Collegiate Link. Students meeting this requirement will be contacted by SCCE via their TAMIU Dusty e-mail accounts to inform of award eligibility and details. The default 12-month period of eligibility is from April 1st of the prior year to March 31st of the current school year. For students which graduate in a term other than Spring, the 12-month period of eligibility may be adjusted to November 1st of the prior year to October 31st of the current school year.
If you are graduating in a term other than Spring and meet the qualifications for the award, please submit an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with your full name and TAMIU Dusty e-mail address for eligibility verification.