Office of Student Affairs
Become our fan
TAMIU OSA Facebook Link
a   a
Continuing International Student Services

Health Insurance

Effective Fall 2013 all international students will be required to purchase the Texas A&M University System Health Insurance. Texas A&M International University defines International Students as any student who is not a permanent resident or US citizen. Please refer to system policy 26.99.01 for additional details.

International students are expected to follow regulations and procedures established by the United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency which governs schools who participate in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). F-1 students must enroll full-time. The University defines full-time enrollment for graduate students as 9 hours per semester and undergraduate students as 12 hours per semester. Students may take one online class and rest on campus.

Social Security Information
A social security number and card is required for employment in the United States. International students wishing to work on or off campus must contact the Office of Student Affairs prior to engaging in employment opportunity. Authorization is dependent on your F-1 status and your enrollment at TAMIU.

Optional Practicum Training (OPT)
OPT is a period during which undergraduate and graduate students with F-1 status who have completed their degree are permitted by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to work for no more than one year on a student visa without needing to acquire a work H-1B visa. F-1 students are permitted a total of 12 months towards practical training, on being certified by the advisor of the usefulness of the works toward goals of the degree. Student Affairs will not accept OPT applications if the student has any outstanding debt to the University.

OPT Reporting Requirements

Students must report the name and location of their employer, as well as any time without active employment. Under continuous F-1 status, you must also report any changes to your residential address, name and Employer Information must be submitted within 10 days of employment or change in employement. 

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
CPT is a defined to be alternative work/study, internship, cooperative education, or any required internship or practicum that is offered by sponsoring employers. CPT is provided to F-1 students as a means to provide work experience in situations where the works serves as an integral part of a student's academic program. Participation in a CPT program must be pre-approved by the staff at Student Affairs.

All international students are required to submit tax documentation to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Follow the link for more information about important dates and documents.

Note: All international students receiving tuition and/or fee adjustments through scholarship, fellowships or exchange agreements are subject to U.S. Internal Revenue Tax Liabilities.