Yvonne Fabara, Ph.D.
She is an international expert on oil and gas transactions with over 25 years of professional experience in legal, corporate and government positions. Her experience has a strong focus on upstream strategies but also on major downstream infrastructure projects, including construction contract claims and settlements. She recently executed 3 oil exploration and production contracts, on behalf of the Republic of Ecuador. These new contracts are incorporating foreign investors in the petroleum industry of Ecuador. Furthermore, she was member of the integrated management team for the construction of the Heavy Crude Oil Pipeline (OCP) and have been legal counsel for different construction and service companies working in the petroleum sector. She was also advisor to the Ecuadorian Minister of Non-Renewable Resources.
Key Areas of Expertise:
- Business and Deal Structuring Strategy
- Proposal and Contract Negotiation
- Project Development and Execution
- Construction Claims
2014 – 2016 – Secretary of Hydrocarbons of the Republic of Ecuador (SHE)
- Government authority, head of SHE the regulatory agency that awards and manages oil E&P contracts and oversees the country´s overall hydrocarbon resources.
- As head of SHE,
- Managed 19 oil service contracts, currently in place in Ecuador, including oversight and compliance of the committed development plans, investment programs and production profiles.
- Led drafting of new contract model for the E&P Ecuadorian sector with terms and conditions addressing current market conditions and contractor's concerns. Identifying key incentives required to attracting ne investors.
- Development and implementation of public policy for new oil contracts to promote foreign investment for the E&P Sector.
- Executed, on behalf of the Republic of Ecuador, three (3) E&P contracts: for Blocks: 28, 79 and 83 in the South Oriente Region.
- Lead a competitiveness study of Ecuador within the Latin American Region.
1997-2014 Legal and Commercial Director – Azul Group of Companies – Mayor multiservice provider for the oil industry in Ecuador.
- Board member. Responsible for oversight of project managers; key contributor in formulating the company’s strategy for business development and corporate operations.
- Responsible for the projects global risk assessment, including client, country, commercial, financial, legal aspects and other key factors to be considered in evaluating projects and business development opportunities. The analysis included those factors in Ecuador and within other countries involved.
- Developing and maintaining excellent networking and business relations within the industry.
- Identifying successful business opportunities based on thorough market research and commercial analysis.
- Designing and implementing the winning strategy for each project to be pursued.
- Performing as proposal team leader and project kick off
- Head of contract negotiation and project management
- Leader for construction claims
- Project Management Contract with Worley Parsons for the Pacific Refinery.
- Project Management Contract with Worley Parson for the upgrading of the Esmeraldas Refinery (Petroecuador)
- KBC Best Practices contract for the Esmeraldas Refinery (Petroecuador)
- Member of the Project Management Team for the construction of the Heavy Crude Pipeline (OCP)
- Arco Development Project - Block 10 Ecuador
1989–1997 - General Counsel: Techint International Construction Corporation (TENCO) – Ecuador
Multinational pipeline Construction Corporation, performing EPC, EPCM, BOT, BOOT, and BOMT worldwide.
Responsible for overall comprehensive legal, contractual and commercial assessment and advice to support the company’s local and international performance, project development, and project financing structure, as well as construction claims assessment, preparation and negotiation.
Involved in all phases of the pipeline construction business and interacted with all the different players under different contractual arrangements, including construction claims and settlements.
- Quito Water Transmission Project
- Guayaquil Water Transmission Project
- Products pipeline for the cost of Ecuador
- Products pipeline for the cost of Nigeria
1988–1989 - Assistant to the President of Techint New York Office
Overall office support on project financing structure and supply chain management coordinator.
Catholic University (PUCE) Law School
- Introduction to Law
- Constitutional Law
- Corporate Law
University of the Americas (UDLA) Law School
- MSc Comparative Government, London School of Economics (LSE), London-England
- Diploma in International Law, Society of International Studies (SEI). Madrid-Spain
- Attorney at Law and Doctor of Jurisprudence, Catholic University of Ecuador. Quito-Ecuador
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiatiors (AIPN)
- Latin-American Oil & Gas Association (LAOGA)
For additional information contact:
Texas A&M International University
OFFICE OF GLOBAL INITIATIVES
International Language Institute
5201 University Boulevard
Pellegrino Hall 301/302
Laredo, Texas 78041-1900
Mon. - Fri., 8 am - 5 pm
Become our fan on Facebook!