Strength and Conditioning
Building a Stronger You
The Strength and Conditioning program is invested in ensuring that students and members are able to execute strength training exercises safely and effectively. Whether you've been training for years or for a week, the weight room will provide you with equipment and resources needed to reach your fitness goal.
Are you interested in learning more about the weight room equipment and strength training techniques? Visit our Seminar tab to view our events
Put your weight lifting skills to the test! Check out the Events tab to compete in our weight room events.
Do you want a workout tailored to your goals? Take a look at our affordable personal training packages, and start working on your fitness goal!
Are you having trouble lifting? Do you want to learn about proper technique? You're in the right place. Join our Seminars to learn more about form, technique, weight room equipment and other helpful tips that will help you create an effective strength training experience.
this seminar helps you improve your deadlifting technique.
Rise of the Machines
This seminar helps you improve your knowledge of exercise equipment
A Pressing Matter
This seminar helps you improve your bench press technique.
Do you know Squat?
This seminar helps you improve your squat technique.
Events and Competitions
Show us what you're made of
The NFL Combine puts an athlete's speed,
strength and agility to the test. If you're a die hard fitness junkie and want
to put your body to the test, then the Combine competitions is for you.
The Strong Man/Woman competition is based on basic strength techniques such as bench, squats and deadlifts. It's time to put your skills to the test.
How to Register?
Register using IMLeagues
Get Personal Training
A personal trainer provides service to TAMIU students, staff, faculty, alumni, and dependants with the motivation, education, guidance, and individual instruction required to achieve their personal fitness goals. Trainers will design a tailored exercise program for each individual that reflects the client’s objectives, fitness level, and experience.
|1-on-1 Training Packages
* These packages must be used within a single semester
* These packages must be used within 1-2 semester of purchase
|1-on-1 Training Packages
*Designed for a small group with similar goals. Maximum of 3/group.
|Group Training Packages
Personal Training Benefits
- Receive one-on-one attention and specific workouts tailored to your needs.
- Develop a more efficient and effective workout.
- Learn proper techniques and training methods.
- Improve performance and motivation.
- Develop a program specific to your goals.
- Learn how to exercise on your own.
- Have more energy, confidence and inspiration!
Weight Room/ Cardio Room/ Functional Cardio
- Persons under the age of 14 years may not use the Weight, Cardio, Functional Cardio, and Fitness Rooms. A parent or guardian must accompany and supervise dependents from the ages of 14 to 17 at all times. (Exception: Entities hosting approved special events may be exempt. However, special events must be approved by university administration and/or risk management).
- No backpacks, gym bags, purses, helmets, rackets, skateboards, long boards, etc. are allowed in the Weight, Functional Cardio and Cardio Room. Day lockers are located outside the Functional Cardio room and shelves in other various locations around the Rec Center for your convenience.
- To avoid potential injury to themselves or others, patrons should use extreme caution and utilize equipment and exercise machines for their intended use.
- Spotters are strongly recommended for all weight lifting exercises.
- Standing on the benches is prohibited.
- Collars/safety clips must be used on all bars when loaded with weight plates regardless of the total weight amount loaded onto the bar.
- Ground-based Olympic style lifting (i.e. power clean, snatch, and derivatives) can only be done on the designated platform.
- Dumbbells, weight plates, and other equipment cannot be dropped to the floor. Staff members have the right to determine what is considered “dropping”. (Exception platform with proper weight plates).
- All equipment must be returned to its proper location after use. All weight plates, dumbbells, handles, etc. must be re-racked in their appropriate location by patrons after they complete the exercise they are performing.
- Weights and bars cannot be leaned against equipment: mirrors, walls or pillars.
- Functional Cardio room equipment can be transported to the weight room; however, Weight Room equipment must remain in Weight Room at all times.
- No chalk/talc allowed.
- No audible or amplified music through personal devices is allowed in Weight and Fitness room.
- To avoid congestion and waiting lines, patrons should allow others to “work in” between sets while using strength training equipment.
- The use of valet towels and spray bottles are required before and after use to minimize the transmission of infections.
- To prevent bacteria & disease transmission, such as, the spread of MRSA, ringworm, etc., it is recommended patrons utilize a work out towel (available for check-out at the equipment desk).
- Appropriate athletic attire must be worn to work out in the Weight, Cardio, Functional Cardio and Fitness Rooms: i.e no jeans, khakis, or cargo type shorts may be worn. Due to potential injury and/or damage to equipment, shorts and pants cannot have metal buttons or rivets.
- Closed toe athletic shoes are required to work out in the Weight, Functional, Cardio, & Fitness Room. Sperry type shoes, Vans, Loafers, slip-ons, slides, sandals, boots or other hard-soled shoes are not allowed.
- Weight belts that may damage equipment upholstery must be removed or covered appropriately.
- Beverages in containers with completely re-sealable caps are allowed. (Tumblers, YETI’s, or other containers without spill resistant lids are not permitted).
- Lost items and injuries must be reported to the Customer Service desk.
- Please direct all concerns and maintenance needs to a member of the Rec Sports staff.
- Only Department of Recreational Sports Personal Trainers/Fitness Instructors are allowed to train clients in the Recreation Center. Individuals, who are not Rec Sports Personal Trainers/Fitness Instructors, who are found to be personal training in any of the Department of Recreational Sports’ facilities will be banned from utilizing our facilities for a period of time to be determined based on the severity of the infraction.