Skip to content

Chapter 1606 - Montgomery GI Bill (Selected Reserve)

This chapter provides for up to 36 months of education benefits to members of the Selected Reserve. This includes the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard Reserves, Army National Guard and the Air National Guard. It does not require the person to serve on active duty in the regular Armed Forces to qualify.

To be considered eligible, you must meet the following qualifications:

-after June 30, 1985, you signed a six-year obligation to serve in the Selected Reserve

-you completed your Initial Active Duty for Training (IADT)

-you got your high school diploma or GED before you completed your IADT

-you are in good standing in a drilling Selected Reserve unit

Checklist for Texas A&M International University

1.) Apply and be accepted to the university

2.) Complete the VA Application (VA Form 22-1990)

3.) Present Notice of Basic Eligibility documentation (VA Form 2384) that you obtain from the Education Officer of your Unit to the VA Assistant (located in KL168)

4.) Complete the "Request for Veteran Certification" form at the Office of the University Registrar.

Additional Information

Once a file is established and you are enrolled, monthly verification of enrollment is required of the student by Veterans Affairs (VA). Submit your monthly verification by toll-free touch-tone telephone at 1-877-823-2378 or connect to the internet site at and follow the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) program. If your enrollment has changed during the month, you must verify your enrollment through the WAVE program. Payment can be expected 3-15 days from the date VA was notified of verification. Direct deposits are available now. Call 1-800-827-1000. For the hearing impaired, please call 1-800-829-4833.

Please note: As part of our institutional policy, students are not certified until after the 12th class day for Fall and Spring semesters and after the 4th class day for the Summer sessions.

Also, please note that kicker rates and college funds are determined by the DOD and are not listed. Chapter 1606 kickers are payable as long as the person remains in the job or unit for which the kicker is awarded.

Related Information

For additional information, please visit the following link:

-Chapter 1606 Pamphlet