Undergraduate Admission Requirements
to the College of Education
The following criteria constitute requirements for admission to and enrollment in 3000-4000 level Education courses:
- Application: Submit an application form (in the Office of Educator Preparation and Certification) and a $10.00 non-refundable application fee (to the Business Office) for admission to the College of Education.
- Courses: Complete all core curriculum coursework with a grade of "C" or better for all courses in the student's degree plan.
- WIN Courses: Complete at least one Writing Intensive course, at the 1000-2000 level. (For students with less than 60 credits)
- University Seminar: Complete two University Seminar courses (UNIV 1101¹ and 1102¹). (For students with less than 30 credits)
- Assessment of Basic Skills: Complete one of the following basic skills tests and pass with a minimal score as noted below:
- Demonstrate Oral Proficiency in the English Language
- Institutional GPA: Have an institutional TAMIU grade point average of 2.7 or transfer GPA of 2.7 (3.0 for Communication Disorders Major) on a 4.0 scale, which must be maintained.
- Foreign Language Requirement: Meet the University's Foreign Language Requirement (http://www.tamiu.edu/catalog/current/acadreg-und.shtml). This may be demonstrated by:
- Completion of three years of high school study of a single foreign language with a minimum grade of 80 (3.0) at the end of the third year or
- Earning a minimum grade of "C" in 6 SCH² in one foreign language or
- CLEP or AP exam scores that award 6 SCH in one foreign language or
- Completion of two foreign language courses in one language with a "C" or better from the University's International Language Institute or
- Completion of two American Sign Language courses with a "C" or better.
Please visit Annie Salinas-Dodd, Academic Coordinator
College of Education, Killam Building - Room 434 D