Concealed Campus Carry
Effective August 1, 2016, Senate Bill 11 required all State public colleges and universities to allow Concealed Campus Carry. Accordingly, Texas A&M University System policy now allows handgun license holders to carry a concealed handgun on University grounds. State law provides universities with the ability of limiting or establishing rules regarding where handguns may and may not be present.
TAMIU rule 34.06.02.L1 Carrying Concealed Handguns on Campus outlines areas prohibited from carrying a concealed handgun on campus premises:
- Science laboratories Canseco Hall 212, Lamar Bruni Vergara Science Center 119, and Lamar Bruni Vergara Science Center 394
- The Texas Academy of International and STEM Studies (Cowart Hall 211 and 213)
- Office of Student Health Services (Student Center 125)
- Office of Student Counseling and Disability Services (Zaffirini Student Success Center 138)
- On the premises where a university sporting event is taking place, so long as effective notice is given under Section 30.06, Penal Code.
- The Kinesiology, Wellness and Recreation Center (REC): Access-controlled portions of the building. The following non-access-controlled portions of the building, all located on the first floor, are not included in the prohibited area: entrance, foyer, public restrooms on the first floor, and classroom/laboratory spaces 128, 129, 130, 131)
- Any campus premises leased by the university to a third party, if the third party determines to prohibit the concealed carry of handguns on the premises and provides effective notice pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code
The University enforces State law and System policy; it is encouraged you read and understand State law and University rules and regulations.
For additional information, please visit the following links: TAMIU Campus Carry Information; 34.06.02 Weapons; Senate Bill 11, Campus Carry; Texas Penal Code 30.06 Trespass by License Holder With A Concealed Handgun; Government Code 411.205 Requirement To Display License.
Texas A&M International University
University Police Department
Phone (956) 326-2100
Emergency 326-2911 - City of Laredo 9911
Killam Library 005
E-Mail to: email@example.com