Residency Issues

All students who are U.S. citizens or Permanent Resident Aliens or persons permitted by the U.S. Government to domicile under certain visas, and who have established a domicile in Texas, are eligible to pay in-state tuition if they meet all requirements as set forth in the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board's official publication, "Rules and Regulations-Residency Status." This publication may be obtained from the Residency Determining Officer for the University at the Office of Admissions. Information on these rules and regulations is also available at the THECB website at https://texreg.sos.state.tx.us/public/readtac$ext.TacPage?sl=T&app=9&p_dir=N&p_rloc=181014&p_tloc=&p_ploc=1&pg=4&p_tac=&ti=19&pt=1&ch=21&rl=210

All students coming from outside the state for the sole purpose of studying shall be classified as non-resident for the duration of their program. However, pursuant to Veron's Texas Codes Annotated-Education Code, Section 54.052(e), "An individual who is 18 years of age or over who has come from outside Texas and who is gainfully employed in Texas for a 12-month period immediately preceding registration in an educational institution shall be classified as a resident student as long as he/she continues to maintain a legal residence in Texas.

Responsibilities and Penalties
The responsibility of enrolling under the proper status is placed on the student. Any attempt on the part of a non-resident to evade the non-resident fees will be taken seriously and may lead to expulsion from the University. Vernon's Texas Codes Annotated-Education Code, Section 54.061 states "The governing board of an institution of higher education may assess and collect from each non-resident student who fails to comply with the rules and regulations of the Board concerning non-resident fees a penalty not to exceed $10 a semester."
If students have been erroneously classified as non-resident students and subsequently prove to the satisfaction of the appropriate administrative official of Texas A&M International University that they should have been classified as resident students, they will be reclassified as residents of Texas and will be entitled to a refund of the difference between the resident and non-resident fees for the semester(s) in which they were so classified. (See Application for Reclassification below.)

Approval for reclassification of an enrolled student from non-resident to resident, or from resident to non-resident will be considered upon review of any proof presented to the Residency Determining Officer which substantiates the need for the change. To receive approval the student must submit the proper documentation and the Texas Core Residency Questionnaire.

Military Residence
U.S. Military personnel and reservists stationed in Texas and their dependents are eligible to pay in-state tuition during their tour of duty in Texas. A verification of duty status form or letter from the military member's commanding or personnel officer must be submitted before enrolling as an in-state student. Any change in the duty status could necessitate a review of a previous decision.