International Student Requirements
A person who is not a citizen or permanent resident alien of the United States is considered an International Student.
To be admitted as an International Student, an applicant must submit the following information, in addition to the documents required according to student's classification. All documents required must be translated to English and sent to the Office of Admissions by the published deadline date: (See Undergraduate
Admissions Requirements for additional requirements.)
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is required of all students having academic studies from a country where English is not the native language. A minimum TOEFL score of 69 (ibt TOEFL) or 193 (Computer-based) or 523 (Paper-based) or 5.5 on the IELTS is required. This score must be sent directly from the testing service and dated within two (2) years of enrollment.
One year of full-time academic studies (does not include developmental or ESL courses) at an accredited U. S. College or University with satisfactory grades OR
U. S. High School graduate who completed all high school requirements satisfactorily within 10 years of enrollment OR
When English is the official native language of the applicant's country OR
Completion of level six with a grade of B or better from the International Language Institute at A&M International University, or from the Texas Intensive English Program (TIEP) affiliated with any of the Texas International Education Consortium (TIEC) member institutions.
Applicants from the following countries do not need to submit a TOEFL score:
|Canada (except Quebec)
||U.S. Pacific Trust
- A completed Financial Statement form provided by the Office of Admissions. This form requires official certification of sources of funds from the student.
- A Letter of Sponsorship is required from the party who will financially support the applicant during pursuit of degree. The letter should certify the sponsor's commitment to pay the educational, living, health, and personal expenses of the applicant until completion of the degree. A sponsor may be the student, student's parents or a third party organization. The sponsor's letter must be dated within six months of the first enrollment according to dates listed below on bank statement requirement.
A Bank Statement/Letter/Affidavit certifying the sponsor to have at least the minimum amount stated on the Financial Statement Form (in U.S. currency dated within six months of the first enrollment according to the following dates: (Click here for specific requirements regarding acceptable versions of bank statements and letters.)
||January 1st or later
||May 1st or later
|Summer Sesssion I:
||October 1st or later
|Summer Session II:
November 1st or later
- Medical Insurance Coverage. TAMU System Policy 26.99.01 requires that an international student under an F or J visa have health insurance coverage, which is automatically included with the semester tuition and fees. Contact the Office of International Engagement for additional information by phone at (956) 326-2282, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit the office located in Student Center room 124 for requirements and waivers.
- International Students transferring from an institution in the United States must submit the following additional documents: 1) International Student Transfer-In Form completed by student and current Foreign Student Advisor; 2) Copy of current I-20; copy of student's F1 visa; 3) Copy of I-94; 4) Written notification requesting dependents to be included on I-20.
NOTE: Upon completion of the application process, successful applicants will be issued an I-20. Students with an F-1 Student Visa are required to enroll full-time at Texas A&M International University. International Students are required to report any change in status immediately to the University Foreign Student Advisor located in the International Engagement department. For more information regarding student visa requirements, please contact International Engagement by phone at (956) 326-2282 or by email at email@example.com.