Virtual Advisor

Frequently Asked Questions

Yes. All federally funded programs, including Stafford Loans, require students to submit a FAFSA. Because the government makes these loans available to students on a non-credit basis, students must meet federal eligibility requirements and these are verified through the FAFSA application.

Follow the instructions on the following step-by-step video.

Yes. Emergency loans are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Students must be enrolled before they apply for emergency loans. There are two types of emergency loans-Emergency Tuition Loans and Book Loans. Students who have enough financial aid to cover their account balance do not need to apply for an emergency tuition loan. Furthermore, if you need to buy your books before any leftover aid is refunded, you can charge them at the bookstore, so you do not an emergency book loan. For more information on purchasing your books with financial aid.

The Business Office processes Emergency Tuition and Book Loans. A fee must first be paid at the Business Office for both types prior to the processing of the loan(s). Students who have an outstanding balance from a previous emergency loan are not eligible for additional loans.

Graduate Students
It is recommended that you discuss your situation with your faculty advisor or the Graduate school if you are considering withdrawing. Please consider that there may be continuous enrollment requirements specific to your program of study that can jeopardize your status. Dropping or withdrawing can impact your ability to retain your awarded scholarship/assistantship/fellowship or delay your ability to graduate on time.

International Students
For international students in F-1 or J-1 status, withdrawing from the university can affect your legal status in the United States. Please contact International Engagement at (956) 326-2282 for advisement before proceeding further.

Student Athletes
Withdrawing from the university may have an impact on your athletics aid and your eligibility. Please contact the Athletic Compliance Office at 956-326-2732 before taking steps to withdraw from the university.

Receiving Veteran’s Benefits
The University offers a variety of resources to help Veterans. The number of credits you take will impact your benefit eligibility, cost of attendance, and student status. GI Bill users must attend class and submit assigned work in order to receive benefits. Hazlewood/Legacy users may have the hours attempted counted towards their overall limit, even if you withdraw. For these reasons, contact the Veterans Affairs Office before and after you change your schedule so that you understand how it might affect your benefit status or financial aid eligibility. For additional information in regards to benefits, please visit Veteran Office.

Yes, as long as you have a complete financial aid folder, meet the SAP policy and your EFC (Expected Family Contribution) is less than 4101 for the 2022-2023 academic year. Pell grant eligibility may be different during the summer session.

To remain eligible for financial aid in future semesters, you must be meeting the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements. One of those requirements is to maintain at least a 67% completion rate. This means that you must complete 67% of all courses you attempted on your transcript. Since withdrawn courses are not completed, withdrawing will negatively impact your completion rate and could put your eligibility for financial aid in future semesters at risk.

Students can log-on to Uconnect to see if they have any financial aid holds. Select "My Records" and then click on "Financial Aid". If a student has a Financial Aid holds, those holds would be under the 'Home' tab.

If you are a financial aid recipient we recommend that you contact your financial aid advisor to determine how withdrawing may affect your financial aid for the future.

Yes, if you have entered into a contractual agreement with University Housing, you must go by their office, in person, to sign cancgellation paperwork and start the check-out process for the residence halls before you leave campus.

Students may not receive federal aid for courses that were previously taken and passed beyond the first retake. In other words, once a student has passed a course, the student has one additional attempt to complete the same course and still be eligible to receive federal financial aid for that course. There is no limit on the number of attempts allowable if the student does not receive a passing grade. Some courses are repeatable per university policy and are not restricted by these regulations.

The purpose of the Educational Aide Exemption Program is to encourage certain educational aides to complete full teacher certification by providing need-based exemptions from the payment of tuition and certain mandatory fees at Texas public institutions for higher education.

For information in regards to eligibility and application, please visit the exemptions & waivers website.

Educational Aide Exemption, Frequently Asked Questions.

Dropping courses or withdrawing from the University does not relieve a student of their financial obligation to the University for any unpaid charges (including financial aid adjustments) incurred for the related semester or term.

Students interested in work study positions need to apply online at HANDSHAKE. Students MUST have a complete financial aid folder to be considered for employment.

Students who are receiving financial aid can purchase their books and supplies at the University Bookstore by charging them to their student account. Students must have a complete financial aid folder, be registered for classes and their amount of aid must exceed the total tuition and fee charges for the semester. You will need to present your TAMIU ID card to the University Bookstore.

Bookstore purchases begin on:

  • Fall semester: July 25th
  • Spring semester: December 1st
  • Summer terms: one week prior to first class day

By charging your books and supplies you agree to adhere to the policies of TAMIU’s Office of Financial Aid, Bursars Office and Follet Bookstore. These policies include, but are not limited to, refunds, returns and exchanges.

Please see Purchasing Books with Financial Aid for more information.

If you do not have financial aid, please contact the Business Office for an emergency book loan.

Create your FSA ID at studentaid.gov.

The FSA ID process consists of three main steps:

    1. Enter you log-in information
      Provide your email, a unique username and password and verify you are at least 13 years old
    2. Enter you personal information
      Provide your Social Security number, name, and date of birth
      Include your mailing address, e-mail address, telephone number, and language preference
      Provide answers to five challenge questions
    3. Submit your FSA ID information
      Agree to the terms and conditions
      Verify your email address¹

¹By verifying your e-mail address, you can use your e-mail address as your username when logging into certain U.S. Department of Education websites

TAMIU delivers your refund with BankMobile Disbursements, a technology solution, powered by BMTX, Inc. Visit this link for more information: https://bankmobiledisbursements.com/refundchoicessso/.

Visit the TAMIU Refund Selection Website for more information.

If you are considering withdrawing from the University for any reasons (extenuating or non-extenuating) please read these notes carefully. You are strongly advised to discuss this matter with the Office of the Vice-President for Student Success at the Zaffirini Student Success Center room 224 for guidance and to explore all options available to you. The Office of the VP for Student Success can assist students experiencing circumstances beyond their control requiring their withdrawal from classes during the current semester.

For merging your accounts or transferring funds between accounts. Please contact Campus Card Services at 956-326-2877 or email onecard@tamiu.edu.

Students who are transferring from another institution may qualify for financial aid at our institution if they have a complete financial aid folder and meet TAMIU's Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.

Be sure to have explored all of your options before you decide to withdraw. To withdraw from all courses, check the University Academic Calendar for the deadline date.

Yes, the Office of Financial Aid can review your current status and information so you are aware of your standing. If you are a financial aid recipient you are required to do an exit interview.

Yes, the Bursar’s Office provides payment options, visit their office in the Zaffirini Student Success Center, ZSC room 137.

Yes, all students who graduate, drop below half-time enrollemtn, or withdraw from the University must complete Loan Exit Counseling session at studentaid.gov. It helps you understand your rights and responsibilities as a student loan borrower and provides useful tips and information to help you manage your loans. Loan Exit Counseling prepares students for repayment by providing demonstrations of useful tools, explaining repayment plans, deferments/forbearances, and exploring consolidation and loan forgiveness programs.

Yes, depending on the type of aid(s) you receive. Funds are awarded based on you attending the entire semester. If financial aid funds were already disbursed and you have received state and/or federal financial aid (Title IV funds), you will be required to repay the amount of unearned financial aid funds disbursed to you based upon your withdrawal date. If you withdraw within 60% from the start of the term, we must recalculate your financial aid eligibility according to the federally prescribed Return to Title IV formula. This calculation will determine the percentage of aid earned while in attendance at the University.

Yes, based on extenuating circumstances. Please contact the Office of the University Registrar for more information.

Students can log-on to Uconnect to view the status of their financial aid folder. Click on the "My Business" tab and any outstanding Financial Aid Requirements are displayed on the left hand side.

Yes, students may speak with an Associate Director or with the Financial Aid Director as needed.

Yes, students are encouraged to fill out the free FAFSA application even if they feel they may not qualify. There is no charge to apply, go to www.fafsa.gov. Most students qualify for some type of aid whether it be grants, scholarships or student loans.

It is important as a student to reflect and understand what possible implications will take place if you decide to withdraw from the University. Take a moment to consider the following questions before deciding to withdraw from the university.

  • Am I doing well in all my classes this semester?
  • Am I managing my time well in order to be successful academically in all my classes this semester?
  • Am I taking the courses in question for a specific degree requirement? Remember, sometimes a course is not offered every semester.
  • Will withdrawing from the university delay my graduation date?
  • Will my financial aid be impacted if I withdraw?
  • Will withdrawing from the university cause delays in attending future semesters?
  • Dropping courses or withdrawing can delay your graduation and your academic progress. It could also negatively impact your student record. There may be alternatives to dropping or withdrawing, such as utilizing academic support services like tutoring or supplemental instruction. Your advisor can help you consider your options. If you are considering dropping or withdrawing contact your advisor.

We understand that sometimes there are unexpected circumstances because of academic challenges, illness, family issues, or other personal matters that may prohibit you from successfully completing your current semester. We hope the Office of the University Registrar in conjunction with the Division for Student Success can assist you in making an informed decision and can help you reach your academic goals.

When considering withdrawing from the university, there are several offices and pieces of information that need to be considered during the decision process that may have an impact on you academically or financially.

  • Satisfactory Academic Progress
  • Athletic Scholarships
  • Housing
  • Financial Aid/Scholarships (Including Work-study)
  • International Students/VISA Status
  • Veteran Services

I have met with either a Registrar staff member, the Retention Specialist, my advisor, and I have completed the Informed Decision for Withdrawal from the University online education module. I have decided that withdrawal from my classes is my best course of action.

You will need to contact the Office of the Vice-President of Student Success to obtain the Withdrawal Form. The form must be completed and appropriate signatures obtained. Completed form can be submitted in one of the following methods: submit in person at the Zaffirini Student Success Center (ZSC room 224); fax to 956-326-2274; or send as an email attachment to studentsuccess@tamiu.edu.

If you have questions, please contact the Office of the Registrar by one of the following methods: phone (956) 326-2250; email registrar@tamiu.edu; or visit the Zaffirini Student Success Center, ZSC room 121.

General financial aid does not transfer with a student. Students transferring from another institution must add our our school code (009651) to their FAFSA in order for us to determine their eligibility for aid. Students receiving aid from a specific state program, such as TEXAS Grant, should notify the financial aid office as soon as possible, as state funding is limited and renewal awards for transfer students cannot be guaranteed. You will need to submit an award letter from your previous school showing that you received aid from that program. Our office will confirm your eligibility for a renewal award with the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.

Emergency Loans are offered from institutional funding (TAMIU) and need to be paid back by mid semester. A student does not need to be eligible for financial aid in order to apply for an emergency loan.

Federal Student Loans are federally funded an students must meet certain eligibility requirements to qualify (see "Who Qualifies for Federal Student Loans?") Students have six months after they graduate or drop below 6 hours of enrollment before the first payment is due on their loan.

All students, including both (degree seeking) and (non-degree seeking) who wish to leave the university during a term, must formally withdraw.

Withdrawal is a formal separation from the University. Dropping all classes does not constitute formal withdrawal.

Dropping is a process of reducing a course load for a particular semester, usually one or two courses. Students who do not attend classes and think the course(s) will automatically be dropped because of non-attendance, and fail to withdraw, will be assigned grades of "FN" for each course.

A student is “dropping” a course or courses if he or she remains enrolled in a minimum of one (1) credit hour at the end of the course drop process. A student is considered to have withdrawn from the institution when the student drops all courses during the semester. All course drops must be completed by the deadline stated in the University catalog published online.

A course may be dropped by completing a drop form with the Office of the University Registrar. Students who decide not to attend and do not officially notify the Office of the University Registrar may be responsible for tuition, fees, and any other circumstances resulting from failure to officially drop or withdraw.

The Financial Responsibility Agreement hold is placed on all students who are eligible to register. The agreement advises students that course registration creates a financial obligation to TAMIU and in effect is an agreement from the student to pay all University charges. This is strictly a Registration Hold and can be cleared by logging in to UConnect where you will see a pop-up for the agreement, please review and accept the agreement to clear your hold.

This hold is not related to your Financial Aid awards.

If you have any questions please contact the Bursar’s Office at 956-326-2140 or at businessoffice@tamiu.edu.

When a student withdraws from the university, he/she is authorized a refund of tuition and fees based on the date of the withdrawal and the number of weeks of the enrolled semester/term/session. The refund policy is based on legislative law found under the Texas Education Code, Chapter 54, Article 54.006. The code outlines the following refund policy:

  • All Semester/Terms/Sessions
    Prior to the 1st Class Day, refund percentage -- 100%
  • Semesters/Terms of 10-weeks or Longer (i.e., Fall/Spring Semesters; 10- week Summer Term)
    During the first five University class days --80%
    During the second five University class days -- 70%
    During the third five University class days -- 50%
    During the fourth give University class days -- 25%
    After the 20th class day -- 0%
  • Terms/Sessions of More Than 5-weeks But Less Than 10-weeks (i.e., 8- week session during Fall/Spring Semesters)
    During the 1st class day -- 80%
    During the 4th, 5th and 6th class day -- 50%
    After the 6th class day -- 0%
  • Terms/Sessions of 5-weeks or Less (i.e., Fall/Spring or Summer Intercessions; 5-week Summer Session)
    During the 1st class day-- 80%
    During the 2nd class day -- 50%
    After the 6th class day -- 0%

The “first class day” is determined by the beginning of a semester, summer session or intercession. The “first class day” is not defined by individual courses. Please refer to the University’s academic calendar for the first class day date.

The refund will be returned to the student only if the student did not receive financial aid assistance from either Title IV programs or state programs. In the cases where the student did receive assistance from these programs, the refund will be returned to the programs in the following order: Unsubsidized Loan, Subsidized Loan, PLUS Loan, Pell Grant, FSEOG Grant, Institutional Grant(s), Texas Grant, other state programs and Institutional scholarships.

The student’s official withdrawal date will be determined by the university as:

    a) the date the student began the university’s withdrawal process.
    b) the midpoint of the semester if the student withdraws without notifying the university.
    c) the student’s last day of attendance for a designated academically-related activity as documented by the university.

If the student receives less Federal Student Aid than the amount earned, the university will make a disbursement of the earned aid that was not received (Post-withdrawal disbursement.)

If it is determined that the university must return to the Title IV programs monies in excess of any tuition and fees or room and board, the student will be responsible for those monies.

Any grant funds that the student is required to return to the federal programs are considered an overpayment. The student must either repay the amount in full to the university within 45 days of notification of the overpayment or make satisfactory payment arrangements with the Department of Education Collections that the student owes an overpayment. At that point, until the student pays the amount in full to the Department of Education or makes repayment arrangements with the Department of Education the student will lose his/her eligibility to receive future federal financial aid at any institution.

Beginning in 2013-14, some Free Applications for Federal Student Aid (FAFSAs) will be flagged for "unusual enrollment history" by the U.S. Department of Education as a result of the student having received federal Pell Grants at multiple institutions in recent years.  Flags “2” and “3” require that TAMIU review the student’s enrollment history and determine whether or not the student is enrolling only long enough to receive cash refunds of federal student aid. All students with UEH flag 3 and some students with UEH flag 2 will be required to provide to the OSFA their academic transcripts all colleges and universities attended during the review period.  If Pell Grants were received and credit hours were not earned (passing grades:  A - D) at each institution attended during these award years, the student may be determined ineligible for further federal financial aid. For more information.  

  • If your Student Aid Report (SAR) includes UEH flag 3, please complete the Unusual Enrollment History Form and submit all required documentation. 
  • If your SAR includes UEH flag 2, the Office of Student Financial Aid will notify you if you will be required to complete the Unusual Enrollment History Form.

Students can obtain more information about these changes at www.studentaid.gov

Our school code is 009651

There are institutional, state and federal grants and federal and state loans available. For specific information, see our Grants and Loans pages.

It varies by student. It is highly recommended that students log-on to UConnect and review the Pay My Bill section under My Records to check if a refund has been processed. Initial refunds are processed after the census date of each semester; after the 12th class day during the fall and spring semesters and after the 4th class day during summer sessions I and II.

Students must complete a FAFSA, not be in default on any federal student loan, be in compliance with our SAP Policy, attend ENTRANCE counseling at TAMIU and complete a Master Promissory Note, have all financial aid requirements complete and enroll for at least 6 hours per semester in order to be eligible for a Federal Direct Loan.

Anyone can be eligible for some type of financial aid if they meet the general qualifications under "Do I Qualify?" To receive federal and state aid, students must be in compliance with our Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy.

If a current student is called to active duty, and the duty will exceed 25% of the total number of class meetings or contact hour equivalents, the student has several options for courses in which he/she is enrolled. The student must provide a copy of military orders to receive one of the following: 1) full refund of tuition and fees paid by the student for the semester in which the student withdraws; 2) with instructor approval, incomplete grade(s) for the semester in which the student withdraws; or 3) with instructor approval, assignment of an appropriate final grade(s) or credit(s). Upon the student’s request, pre-registered classes will be dropped. If the student returns prior to the beginning of a semester he/she will be reinstated into this institution.

If a current student, including one enrolled in distance education, self- paced and other asynchronous courses, is called to active military service for a period of time not to exceed 25% of the total number of class meetings or contact hour equivalents, and chooses not to withdraw from the university, the student shall be excused from attending classes or engaging in other required activities, including examinations, during that period of time. The student shall be allowed to complete (an) assignment(s) or take (an) examination(s) within a reasonable time after the absence. The student’s course work previously completed will be retained and the student will be able to complete the course without prejudice and under the same course requirements that were in effect when the student enrolled in the course. If the course requirements are not completed by the end of the semester in which the student is called to active military service, the grade of I will be awarded. Normal academic regulations relating to grades of I will apply, as well as normal grade dispute resolution processes, in the event of such disputes. There are no provisions for refunds for active duty service members who are deployed as a result of military orders for individuals who chose to enter into service.

Texas A&M International University
Zaffirini Student Success Center Suite 214
5201 University Blvd.
Laredo, TX 78041
Phone 956.326.2225
Fax 956.326.2224
Email financialaid@tamiu.edu