Inviting Family To United States

While enrolled at TAMIU, a student may want to invite a family member to visit them in the US. Below are some suggestions to help family obtain a visa to enter the U.S.

Adding A Spouse/Partner or Child(ren)

If a student will be in F-1 status, the legal spouse and child(ren) under age 21 may be eligible for F-2 status to accompany or follow separately to the U.S. To request a an I-20 for the purpose of inviting family in F-2 status, please complete the Financial Statement Form. If sponsor(s) are unable to sign the financial statement form, a sponser letter will be accepted. Once the documents are received and reviewed a new I-20 form will be prepared for each family member.

After collecting the new I-20 forms from International Engagement, they must be delivered to the family (either by mail or in person) to apply for a visa.

Extended Family

Extended family (parents, grandparents, siblings, aunts, uncles, etc.) are not eligible to come to the U.S. as dependents in F-2 status. They must apply for a B-1/B-2 visitor visa. To facilitate the process of applying for a B-1/B-2 visitor visa, follow the guidelines below (optional):

Include the purpose of the visit, the relationship to the individual, a statement of the student's status and the length of time the family will be visiting (usually less than three months). If the individual has a job to which they plan to return, it is good to mention it. If the student plans to provide for the family's support while they are in the U.S., include that information as well.

Providing family members with all of the above may improve their chances of obtaining a visa. However, there is no guarantee a visa will be issued. The success of the applicant's request for a visa lies in their ability to prove that they have no intention of staying permanently in the U.S.

Copyright 2018 Texas A&M International University
5201 University Boulevard - Laredo, TX 78041
Phone 956.326.2001