TAMIU Virtual Classroom Now Open
Texas A&M International University (TAMIU) students will complete their final classes of the Spring semester in a Virtual Environment, which launched Monday, March 30, 2020. While the City has enacted a Stay at Home/Work Safe Order, TAMIU’s essential education mission continues as authorized by the Governor of Texas.
TAMIU President Dr. Pablo Arenaz said the change, part of the University’s ongoing response to the COVID-19 global pandemic, represents a shared challenge.
“Our traditional places of exchange and growth, physical classrooms, are now the Virtual Classroom. For the next four weeks, a short time in the life of a long semester, we will all work together to complete this semester. TAMIU professors have worked diligently this week to transition their classes and be ready for our students. We know there will be challenges, but they will be shared and together we’ll rise to this challenge. Virtual classes offer remarkable opportunities for insight and growth for us all. As I am telling our University community and community at large, we are TAMIU Together and Laredo Together,” Dr. Arenaz said.
TAMIU students were on Spring Break March 16 – 20. Face to face classes were suspended for the week of March 23 -27 as faculty and staff prepared for the transition to the virtual environment.
He said that while the campus is closed to the general public, services at the University continue, practicing all CDC Guidelines on gathering and social distancing. Hours are subject to change and some staff will work remotely. For students, faculty, staff and those having legitimate reasons to be on campus, it is recommended that phone or email contact be made first to determine the office schedule and operation.
As the campus is closed to the general public, it also cannot be used for recreational running, walking or other exercise by the general public. This will be enforced by University Police.
This schedule is effective April 1, 2020 and moving forward.
All buildings are locked with the exceptions indicated below. All office hours and services subject to change.
- Senator Judith Zaffirini Student Success Center is open Mon-Thurs from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Open Friday 8 a.m. – 3 p.m.; all services available by email and phone until 5 p.m.
- The Sue and Radcliffe Killam Library (KLM) will open from 7 a.m. – 6 p.m. Monday-Friday.
- Dusty’s Diner will open during its regular hours, Monday – Friday from 7:30 a.m. – 7 p.m. and Saturday – Sunday, 11 a.m. – 7:30 p.m.
- Dr. Billy F. Cowart Hall will be open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday-Friday and from 7 a.m. – 2 p.m. on Saturday. Closed Sunday.
- Center for the Fine and Performing Arts will be open Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- The Lamar Bruni Vergara Science Center and University Police Department will be open from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. Monday – Friday.
- The Student Center will be open daily from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- The OIT Help Desk will operate from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- The Bookstore will be open from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. Monday-Friday.
- The Kinesiology, Wellness and Recreation Center is closed through Monday, April 6.
- The Lamar Bruni Vergara Planetarium will be closed through April 30.
- The University Learning Center will provide online tutoring services from 8 a.m. – 6:30 p.m. Monday – Friday.
- The Writing Center will offer online tutoring and supplemental instruction sessions, Monday – Thursday, 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. and Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- The SkyLab is closed.
Additional information is also available at in the FAQ section of our University’s dedicated COVID-19 website.
The University’s dedicated COVID-19 website is updated daily and includes information on office schedules and services, an expansive FAQ, quick links, student resources, official COVID-19 information links and much more.
For more information, contact the University’s Office of Public Relations, Marketing and Information Services at firstname.lastname@example.org, click on tamiu.edu or follow the University’s official social media channels on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter and YouTube.