2016-2017 University Catalog




The term “student” includes all persons who have been offered admission, and/or who are taking courses at the University, either full-time or part-time, pursuing undergraduate, graduate, or professional studies and who is either currently enrolled or was enrolled the previous semester and registered for a future semester. Persons who withdraw after allegedly violating the Student Conduct Code, or who are not officially enrolled for a particular term but who have a continuing relationship with the University are considered students. In addition, persons who are enrolled with the Intensive Language Institute are also considered “students”, for the purpose of enforcing the student code of conduct.


  1. Character of Graduate Work:The principal aim of graduate study is to develop a student's ability to engage in independent work.  Consequently, the character of work expected of graduate students is significantly different from that of undergraduate students.  To prepare students to engage in independent work faculty members act as facilitators who develop graduate students into active learners. Graduate students are expected to demonstrate an in-depth knowledge and comprehension of the subject matter in their respective disciplines. Graduate students are also expected to demonstrate how to apply, analyze, synthesize and evaluate their discipline specific body of knowledge through superior written and oral communication skills.
  2. Hours Required: 30 to 60 hours of approved graduate courses depending on the degree. No more than six (6) hours of 4000 level coursework may be used to satisfy degree requirements.
  3. Transfer of Graduate-Level Study: A maximum of six (6) semester hours with a minimum grade of 3.0 (“B”) on a 4.0 scale can be transferred into a master’s program with the consent of the Department Chair. In the A.R. Sanchez, Jr. School of Business, transfer credit applies solely to elective/concentration courses; required courses that are part of the business graduate curriculum must be completed in residence.
  4. Grades Required: A minimum grade point average of 3.0 (“B”) on a 4.0 point scale computed on all graduate work attempted must be maintained as well as in the major/concentration and in the minor. No more than three (3) semester credit hours with a letter grade of “C” earned at this university will be accepted as credit for a master’s degree. Exception: No grade below 3.0 (“B”) will be accepted for the MA in Counseling Psychology.
  5. Correspondence Work: In no case will courses taken by correspondence be accepted for graduate credit.
  6. Graduation Under a Particular Catalog: A degree seeking student may receive his/her master’s degree upon satisfying the requirements of the catalog under which he/she first earned resident credit for graduate work, or upon satisfying the requirements of the catalog of any subsequent year in which he/she earned credit as a resident student in the University. All requirements for a master’s degree must be completed within a period of five years or within the time specified for the particular program. No credit more than five/six years old, counting from the catalog year in effect at registration, will be recognized as graduate credit applicable toward a graduate degree. Students whose coursework has expired may repeat the expired course(s) or request an appropriate substitute or request a waiver. Waivers must be in writing, and approved by the program faculty, department chair, and Graduate Dean.
  7. Conferring of Degrees: No degree will be conferred except publicly and on Commencement Day of the spring and fall semesters.

Semester Credit Hours
The semester hour is the unit of credit and is defined as the amount of credit given for one recitation hour a week for one semester. Each recitation hour requires two hours of preparation on the part of the average student. In general, three hours of carefully planned and supervised laboratory work are equivalent to one hour of lecture or recitation.

Normal Load: The normal load for a graduate student for a long semester is nine (9) semester credit hours. The normal load for summer school is six (6) semester credit hours per session.

For a graduate student employed in a full-time public school teaching position, the University recommends a load of six (6) hours each long semester. Please Note: a graduate student carrying a load of six (6) hours in a long semester will be considered part-time, as per the definition below.

Full-Time: A full-time graduate student is defined as one carrying a minimum load of nine (9) semester credit hours. A graduate student registered for less than nine (9) semester credit hours is considered a part-time student. Full-time during each summer session is a graduate student carrying six (6) semester credit hours.

Half-Time: A half-time graduate student is defined as one carrying a minimum load of four (4) semester hours. Half-time during each summer session is a graduate student carrying three (3) semester hours.

Maximum Number of Hours: The maximum load for a full-time graduate student is twelve (12) semester credit hours per semester and six (6) semester credit hours each summer term. Any semester credit hour load in excess of the maximum load must be approved by the Dean of the appropriate College.

A graduate student may enroll for up to nine (9) semester hours in one summer session only if he/she meets both of the following criteria:

  • needs the nine semester hours to complete graduation and/or certification requirements in August; and
  • has at least a 3.5/4.0 grade point average based on all valid graduate work taken up to the present time. Total semester hours earned in the summer may not exceed fifteen (15) SCH.
The term “course” shall be understood to mean a definite unit of work in a subject and may continue through two semesters. Credit allowed for each course is written out in full immediately following the title of the course. Example: HIST 5305 Civil War and Reconstruction. Three semester hours.

Graduate Courses: Courses numbered 5000 or above are open only to students with graduate standing. Some courses at the 4000-level carry graduate as well as undergraduate credit (not available in the A. R. Sanchez, Jr. School of Business). These courses are identified in the course description section for each College.

Repetition of a Course: Courses applicable to a graduate degree may not be repeated for credit unless prescribed during the admissions or Scholastic Deficiency processes. It is the policy of the University to count only the last grade received in the course, whether passing or failing, other than a grade of “W” (see Grades below).

Grades are recorded from “A” to “D/F”, inclusive, and are available via the web to each student at the end of each semester. Numerical values corresponding to these letters are as follows:

A 90-100, excellent
B 80-89, good
C 70-79, average*
D/F Below 70, failure
S/CR Satisfactory (credit)
U/NC Unsatisfactory (no credit)
IP In Progress
W Dropped or withdrawn
I Incomplete

*No more than one course with the grade of “C” will be accepted as credit for any master’s degree. Exception: No grades below “B” will be accepted for the Master of Arts in Counseling Psychology degree and in the Major Curriculum (required) Courses in Sociology.

The College of Education has adopted the following grading scale:

A 93-100
B 84-92
C 75-83
F Below 75
S/CR/P Satisfactory/credit/pass
U/NC Unsatisfactory (no credit)
IP In Progress
W Dropped or withdrawn
I Incomplete

The College of Nursing and Health Sciences Graduate Nursing Program grading policy stipulates the following:

A 90-100
B 81-89
C 75-80
F 74 and Below

Graduates must maintain a GPA of B (80/100) or above to progress and graduate from a master’s program in the CONHS. Students must pass both clinical and theory components of a course in order to pass that course. A master’s student in the CONHS may receive no more than two C’s during the course of graduate study.

CR/NC, Credit/No Credit: Courses taken in residence on credit/no credit basis are not computed in the grade point average. Special projects designed to provide staff development for teachers and which carry academic credit will be taken on the credit/no credit basis. Grades assigned will be “CR” for satisfactory completion of the objectives and “NC” for unsatisfactory completion of the objectives, and these grades may not be used to satisfy degree requirements.

S/U, Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory: This grading criteria applies only to courses in the A. R. Sanchez, Jr. School of Business. This grade can be given for only predesignated courses and may be used to satisfy degree requirements (e.g., business internships). For graduate students, a grade of “S” indicates achievement of 80 percent or greater for the course requirements.

IP, In Progress: Given to a student in a thesis course who is passing but has not completed all required work. Student must re-enroll in thesis.

W, Dropped/Withdrawn: Given when a student has officially dropped or withdrawn from the University by the deadline in the official University calendar, regardless of student’s standing in class.

I, Incomplete: Given to a student who is passing but has not completed a term paper, examination, or other required work. Students electing to complete unfinished work in the course must sign an incomplete contract along with the instructor specifying assignments to be completed and the due date. Failure to sign contract, and have on file in the Office of the University Registrar, will result in the “I” being converted to an “F” through an administrative action of the University Registrar.

For the student, the grade of “I” may be removed under certain conditions:

  • if the student elects to complete the course, they may, within the time specified by the instructor, but not exceeding twelve months from the date the “I” was recorded, complete the work in the course and request that the instructor submit a change of grade form to the University Registrar. Extensions of time in cases of merit may be granted by the Dean of the appropriate College.
  • if the student elects not to complete the course and the signed contract within a period of twelve months, the “I” will be converted to a grade of “F” through an administrative action of the University Registrar.
  • a student may not register for a course for which he/she has a current grade of “I”.

Change of Grade:  After being reported to the Office of the University Registrar, grades other than “I” may not be changed unless a computation error has been made by the instructor.

Grade Points:  A student’s grade average on university work is expressed in grade points.  Each semester hour of “A” counts four points, “B” three points, “C” two points, “D” one point, and “F” zero points. Thus a “B” average, which is the minimum overall average for any master’s degree, is expressed as a 3.0 grade point average.

Students are expected to inform themselves thoroughly concerning the regulations of the University and the course requirements for the degree they seek and to make inquiries in case of doubt. It shall not be the University's responsibility should complications arise because of failure to follow regulations and requirements. Regulations will not be waived nor exceptions to requirements made on a plea of ignorance of the regulation or requirement. Students, therefore, should become familiar with all of the information related to the program contained in the printed University bulletin and on-line.

Personal Announcements sent to students through TAMIU’s UConnect Portal and TAMIU E-mail are the official means of communicating course and university business with students and faculty – not the U.S. Mail and not other e-mail addresses. Students and faculty must check UConnect and their TAMIU e-mail accounts regularly, if not daily. Not having seen an important TAMIU e-mail or UConnect message from a faculty member, chair, dean or other University administrator is not accepted as an excuse for failure to take important action. Students, faculty, and staff are encouraged to sign-up for Dusty Alert (see www.tamiu.edu). Dusty Alert is an instant cell phone text-messaging system allowing the university to immediately notify you if there is an on-campus emergency, something of immediate danger to you, or a campus closing.

Each student, by registering, enters some college of the University and, except as to conduct, is thereafter under its jurisdiction with regard to the student's program of study and degree requirements. Students should work directly with the person in their major department who is assigned the responsibility of supervising their programs concerning course requirements and options, deficiencies, degree plan and special regulations. Requests to waive regulations and/or requirements should be directed in writing to the Dean of the College.

Degree Plan: The student should select his or her major field of study as early as possible. The planning of a course of study should be exercised in consultation with a faculty advisor. Students will be required to present updated degree audits during faculty advisement. A degree plan may be superseded by a new one according to the provision explained under Graduation Under a Particular Catalog in this section.

Schedule: The student’s class schedule should be worked out in conference with a faculty advisor. Students are urged to confer with their advisors well in advance of registration in order to avoid difficulties in scheduling.

Early Registration: A period of early registration is scheduled each semester for the following semester(s). During that time a student is responsible for making an appointment with a graduate advisor in the appropriate college to discuss the degree plan, determine the courses to be taken during the next semester, and complete the registration form. A student is not officially enrolled until all fees have been paid.

Registration for a Course: The only way to become a member of a class is to officially register for it or by adding a course after registration is completed. In any case, the instructor receives the students' names on the official class rosters distributed by the Office of the University Registrar and immediately on their online rosters.

Waitlist Policy: A student may request to be waitlisted for a closed course. If space becomes available, waitlisted students will be added in the order the requests were received without prior notification to the student. It is the student's responsibility to check his/her status in the course. Requesting to be waitlisted makes the student liable for all tuition and fees due if a space becomes available. A drop must be processed by the student if the class is no longer desired. Please note: a student may not be waitlisted for one section of a course and registered in another section of the same course.

Adding a Course: To add a course to a schedule after initial registration, an add form is obtained in the Office of the University Registrar. A student should obtain permission from his/her assigned faculty advisor to add the course. The faculty advisor must sign the add form. (See Maximum Number of Hours in this section.)

Auditing a Course: Any person may audit a course except for individual instruction courses. Auditors do not have the privilege of submitting papers, taking part in class discussions, or participating in laboratory or field work. Auditors pay tuition and fees according to the published semester credit hour fee schedule. Deadline to request instructor permission to audit a course is the Census Date of the semester.

Definitions - Drop and Withdrawal

A student is "dropping" a course or courses if he or she remains enrolled in a minimum of one (1) credit hour at the end of the course change process. A student is considered withdrawn from the University if no semester credit hours remain at the end of the course change process.

Dropping a Course
A course may be dropped by completing a drop form with the Office of the University Registrar in person, by mail or by fax. Courses cannot be dropped by phone.

All course drops must be completed by the deadline stated in the University academic calendar published online in this catalog.

If a student chooses not to attend a class or classes, he or she is responsible for officially dropping or withdrawing through the Office of the University Registrar. Students who decide not to attend and do not officially notify the Office of the University Registrar may be responsible for tuition fees and any other circumstances resulting from failure to officially drop or withdraw. Students must not assume that they will "automatically" be dropped from their classes if they do not attend or do not pay. (Although the student may not have paid for classes personally, payment may have been posted to his or her account by a financial assistance agency. It is important that the student officially notify the Office of the University Registrar of his or her intention not to attend.) Refer to the Refund of Fees section of the catalog for refund schedules.

Withdrawal from the University
Students who find it necessary to withdraw from all courses must notify the Office of Student Success in University Success Center 224. Refer to the Refund of Fees section of the catalog for refund schedules.

Financial Aid Impact of Dropping or Withdrawal
Students who have received a federal student loan through Texas A&M International University and are dropping below six hours or withdrawing from the university must also receive approval from the Office of Financial Aid and attend loan exit counseling at the time of the drop or withdrawal. Failure to do so will cause the student to have a hold placed on the release of their student records and may impact the awarding of future loans.

Absence from Class: It is assumed that a vital part of every student's education is regular attendance of class meetings. Every faculty member keeps a current attendance record on each student. Any absences tend to lower the quality of a student's work in a course, and frequent or persistent absences may preclude a passing grade or cause a student to be dropped from one or more courses by the respective faculty with approval of his or her Chair and Dean. Additional information is available in the current Student Handbook.

Minimum Grade Point Average for Good Standing for students enrolled Fall 2010 and thereafter:
To continue in graduate studies, a student is expected to maintain a nominal “B” average (3.0/4.0). This means that the student’s record must show a grade of “A” to offset each grade below a “B” on work taken for graduate credit and applicable toward the master’s degree. No grade lower than “C” can apply to a master’s degree. No grades below “B” will be accepted for the Master of Arts in Counseling Psychology degree and in the major curriculum courses in Sociology. The grade point average accumulated on the permanent record of a student at Texas A&M International University will be based on course hours and grade points earned by a student on work taken only at this university.  Transfer work will be accepted for fulfilling degree and graduation requirements only. 

Scholastic Deficiency for students enrolled Fall 2010 and thereafter:
If either of a student’s cumulative GPA or the GPA for courses listed on the degree plan falls below the minimum of 3.000, he or she will be considered to be scholastically deficient. If the minimum GPA is not attained by the end of next semester of enrollment, the student will be dropped from graduate studies. Students who receive a D, F or more than one C for coursework listed on their degree plan will also be dropped from graduate studies. The procedures for dismissal and expulsion are explained in the TAMIU Student Handbook.

Procedures for Dismissal for students enrolled Fall 2010 and thereafter:
In the event a graduate student becomes scholastically deficient, he or she may be subject to one of the following actions, initiated by a recommendation from the student’s department or graduate advisory committee (listed in order of increasing severity):

1. Permitted to continue in the program on scholastic probation; or
2. Suspended from the university—because of scholastic deficiency; or separated from the university because of scholastic deficiency by one of the following actions:
· Suspension: Separation of the student from the university for a definite period of time. The student is not guaranteed readmission at the end of this period of time. The student is guaranteed a review of the case and a decision regarding eligibility for readmission.
· Dismissal: Separation of the student from the university for an indefinite period of time. Readmission to the university may be possible in the future, but no specific time for a decision is established.
· Expulsion: Permanent separation of the student from the university for scholastic deficiency. The student is not eligible for readmission to the university. Expulsion can occur following a ruling by the Graduate Appeals Panel that does not support the student’s appeal.

A recommendation to suspend, dismiss or expel the student from the university because of scholastic deficiency must be made in writing to the Dean of the Office of Graduate Studies by the department or the student’s graduate advisory committee. If the recommendation is made by the advisory committee, it must be signed by all members of the committee.
A graduate student blocked or suspended for deficient scholarship may appeal such a decision through the Graduate Appeals Panel, a committee of three (3) members of the TAMIU Graduate Council.

Death of a Student

When the death of a currently enrolled student is reported, the Office of the University Registrar is notified immediately. After confirming the death, the Office of the University Registrar takes the following steps:

  1. Notifies the President, the Vice President of Student Success, the appropriate faculty and college dean.
  2. Sets grades for all current courses to a nonpunitive mark of “W” and updates directory data to block mailings to the deceased.
  3. Notifies the Business Office of the effective date of the assignment of the mark.
  4. Notifies the Financial Aid Office.

Official Summons
Answering an Official Summons: Occasionally it is essential that a student be summoned to one of the administrative or academic offices on the campus. A student who fails to answer an official summons promptly will be subject to suspension from all classes until the particular matter of business has been concluded and the student has been granted permission to return to classes.

Change of Address
Students who change their home address while attending Texas A&M International University are expected to notify the Office of the University Registrar immediately. Changes of local address must also be made with the Office of the University Registrar. Address updates may be made via the web.

Upon registration, students automatically become members of the University community and, as such, assume full responsibility for proper conduct until their separation from the University. All University students should be familiar with the ordinary conventions of adult society governing their behavior. In addition, the University student must be acquainted with and bound by the University rules and regulations covering student conduct as stated in the Student Handbook which is available on-line or from the Office of Student Affairs.

Texas A&M International University reserves the right, through due process, to place on probation, suspend, or expel any student for improper conduct.

Hazing is a criminal violation under Texas law. A person may be found guilty of criminal conduct for hazing, encouraging hazing, permitting hazing, or having knowledge of the planning of hazing incidents and failing to report in writing his/her knowledge to the Dean of Student Success.

Both failing to report hazing and hazing that does not result in serious bodily injury are Class B misdemeanors. Hazing that results in serious bodily injury is a Class A misdemeanor. Hazing resulting in a death is a state jail felony. An organization found guilty of hazing may be fined $5,000 to $10,000 or, for incident causing personal injury or property damage, an amount double the loss or expenses incurred because of the hazing incident.  It is not a defense to prosecution that the person hazed consented to the hazing activity.

Any person reporting a specific hazing incident to an appropriate institutional official is immune from civil and criminal liability unless the report is in bad faith or malicious.

This state law does not limit or affect an education institution’s right to enforce its own penalties against hazing.

The Education Code defines hazing as “any intentional, knowing, or reckless act occurring on or off the campus of an educational institution by one person or acting with others, directed against a student, that endangers the mental or physical health or safety of a student for the purpose of pledging, being initiated into, affiliating with, holding office in, or maintaining membership in an organization.” The statute contains a list of conduct which constitutes hazing.

Transfer of Graduate-Level Study: A maximum of six (6) semester hours with a minimum grade of 3.0 (“B”) on a 4.0 scale can be transferred into a master’s program with the consent of the Department Chair. In the A.R. Sanchez, Jr. School of Business, transfer credit applies solely to elective/concentration courses; required courses that are part of the business graduate curriculum must be completed in residence.

Correspondence Work:  Credit earned by correspondence will not be accepted for graduate credit.

Graduation Under a Particular Catalog: A student may graduate according to the curricular requirements as stated in the catalog of the year in which the student first registered for work in residence at Texas A&M International University; or may be graduated under any later catalog of a year in which the student registered for residence work, provided that requirements are met within five years of the date of the catalog chosen. Also provided that the institution offers the courses listed as requirements in the catalog. Students whose coursework has expired may repeat the expired course(s) or request an appropriate substitute.

Written Comprehensive Examination:  A comprehensive examination shall be passed by the candidate covering the major and minor fields, and each will be VALID FOR ONE YEAR.  Exams will be given each long semester.  A student who fails to pass one or more questions of the exam will be allowed one opportunity to repeat and pass the exam.

Application for Candidacy for Master’s or Ph.D. Degree: A student intending to have a degree conferred at Texas A&M International University must file an Application for Candidacy with the Office of the University Registrar and pay the graduation fee to the University Business Office by the Census Date of the semester in which the student wishes to graduate.

Graduation in-Absentia:  Students intending to graduate in-absentia should notify the Office of the University Registrar upon application for candidacy.

Leave of Absence: Under unusual circumstances, a student may petition for a leave of absence. The student’s Advisory Committee Chairperson and the Chair of the Department must approve the petition. If the petition is granted, the registration requirement will be set aside during the period of the leave and will not count towards the requirement that the student complete a master’s degree within a period of five years or within the time specified for the particular program. Leaves will be granted only under conditions that require the suspension of all activities associated with the thesis.

Degree Conferral and Eligibility for Participation in Graduation Ceremonies:  It is the policy of Texas A&M International University that only students who have completed their degree requirements participate in graduation ceremonies. There are two graduation ceremonies each year. May graduates attend the May ceremony. Students who finish requirements in any of the summer terms receive their diploma in late August and are invited to attend the following December ceremony along with the December graduates. No degree will be conferred except publicly and on Commencement Day of the spring and fall semesters.

Additional Master's Degree Policy: In the College of Arts and Sciences, students pursuing the Master of Public Administration as an additional master's degree, may obtain the degree upon successful completion of the major curriculum and substituting hours attained in the first master's program for nine hours of electives. In the A. R. Sanchez, Jr. School of Business, a student seeking a second master's degree must complete twenty-one (21) semester credit hours of graduate-level business courses beyond the coursework in the degree plan(s) for all prior master's degree taken in the ARSSB and must meet all other requirements for the additional master's degree. In the College of Education, students shall not be permitted to apply the same course credit to more than one master's degree.

Pathways to the Doctorate is a program dedicated to increasing the number, quality, and diversity of master's and doctoral graduates across all disciplines within the nine universities and the Health Science Center of Texas A&M University System. This allows the program to recruit top students from diverse geographic, socio-economic, racial, ethnic and cultural environments to pursue careers in higher education and thus produce the next generation of faculty. Pathways to the Doctorate is one approach to Closing the Gaps in Texas.

Through a variety of activities such as seminars and workshops, inter-institutional exchange programs, a mentoring program and an annual research symposium with Systemwide participation, the Pathways Program:

· creates a pathway for talented students to pursue graduate education;
· fosters opportunities for faculty, graduate and undergraduate students to collaborate and to pursue innovative research and enhance interpersonal communication skills;
· enlightens and encourages students and teachers (P-16) to see that science and technology are essential to lead a life of discovery and enjoyment;
· and helps meet faculty needs as post-secondary enrollment grows and current faculty retire.

Information can be found at http://ogs.tamu.edu/OGS/pathways. Contact the Dean of Graduate Studies and Research if you are interested in the Pathways to the Doctorate Program.


Home - General Information - Student Services -
Academic Undergraduate Regulations -
Undergraduate Degrees - Academic Graduate Regulations -
Graduate Degrees - Course Descriptions - Faculty -
Appendix A - Appendix B - Appendix C - Appendix D