General FAQs

Q: What is DegreeWorks?

DegreeWorks is an accessible and user-friendly advisement tool located within TAMIU's UConnect portal, providing students and advisors with an organized outlook on degree plan evaluations. Aimed to help the student progress through his or her degree plan efficiently, DegreeWorks compares the student's academic history with the degree requirements outlined in the University catalog.

Q: Who can use DegreeWorks?

Undergraduate and Graduate students can use DegreeWorks, as well as the advising staff from different departments and the Registrar’s Office.

Q: Can I register for classes in DegreeWorks?

No, students may only be able to register online through UConnect and in person at the Registrar’s Office.

Audit FAQs

Q: What is a DegreeWorks audit?

ADegreeWorks audit is a degree evaluation that is sectioned off into different block requirements, such as the core curriculum, major, minor, concentration, and other requirements for a degree plan. Each block within the audit works like a checklist that has boxes that are automatically checked when a requirement is met.

Q: What if information in DegreeWorks is not up to date?

There could be many reasons why information in DegreeWorks is not up to date.One is that DegreeWorks may not have been refreshed since a change was made (information is refreshed nightly) to a student record. Second, there could be some paperwork that must be completed at the Registrar's Office. Check with the Registrar's Office regarding information not being up to date.

Q: Are my grades visible in DegreeWorks?

Yes. Once grades have been posted at the end of the semester or term, they are viewable in DegreeWorks.

Q: Can I see a list of all of the classes I've taken?

Yes. On the Audits tab, click on the "Class History" link at the top for a list of courses taken at TAMIU as well as transfer courses.

Q: Can I change my major/minor/concentration throughDegreeWorks?

No. Visit the Registrar’s Office for information on how to change your major/minor/concentration.

Q: Does DegreeWorks include my AP credit and transfer work?

Once AP scores are received from the College Board and credit is granted, they are posted to the student's record and will appear on the audit.

Q: How do I know what classes I need to take?

Your audit will outline courses needed to meet degree, major, minor, and/or concentration requirements within each specific block. You may then use this information to discuss your plan with your Academic Advisor.

Q: I think my audit is incorrect. What should I do?

Please ask your academic advisor for assistance. The first step is to clarify what information you believe is wrong. These are the most common problems and courses of action:

My major is wrong on my audit.
If you have not officially changed your major, contact the Registrar’s Office. If you have already officially changed your major, the DegreeWorks audit will only display your active degree audit. If your change is effective for a future term, the change may not reflect until that term.

The requirements for my major are wrong.
Look at the catalog term that appears on the major requirements block of the audit. According to our records, this is the catalog that you are using to complete your major requirements. If you believe you should be using older or new requirements, contact the Registrar’s Office.

My transfer courses do not appear in the right place.
If you are concerned about a transfer course that should be applying in the audit, contact the Registrar’s Office.

Classes are not applying in the right place.
DegreeWorks uses a 'best fit' approach for meeting requirements so classes may apply to different sections as you take more courses. If you have further questions, please contact your academic advisor or the Registrar’s Office.

My advisor or department chair gave me permission to substitute a course, but it's not showing on my audit.
Visit the Registrar’s Office.  Once substitutions are entered by the Registrar’s Office and a new audit has been run, the change will appear on the audit.

My minor or concentrationis missing from my audit.
If you have not officially declared your minor or concentration, contact your academic advisor for instructions. If you have already officially declared your minor,the Registrar’s Office may still be updating your records.

If none of these problems describe your situation, or if you need additional help identifying what's wrong, contact your academic advisor. If the advisor believes a technical error exists on the audit, they will contact the Registrar’s Office.

Q: When should a student/advisor review adegree audit?

A degree audit can be reviewed at any time; however, it is recommended to do so at least four times asemester. You should always review your audit:

1. Beforeregisteringfor an upcoming semester.

2. After you register to ensure that the courses apply to your programrequirements.

3. Aftergrades are posted for each semester.

4. Any timechanges are madeto your schedule or major.

Q: How is my degree audit different from my transcript?

Your degree audit is a tool to provide you with academic information related to your degree progress. It displays courses required and completed in your degree program. Your transcript is your official university academic record and provides a chronological list of courses completed and other academic information.

Q: I've seen the @symbol in several places on my audit. What does this mean?

This is a wild card in DegreeWorks. If the @ sign appears with course numbers after it (i.e., @1000:4999), it means that you can take any subject area with that level (a 1000-4000 level course from any subject area). If it appears after a subject prefix (i.e., CRIJ @), it means that you can take any course with that subject prefix (any course in Criminal Justice).

Q: Who should I contact if I still have questions or disagree with the audit?

Please contact your academic advisor.

What if Audit FAQs

Q: I want to change my major. How can I see what would be required if I made this change?

You can use the "What-If" option on the Audits tab to do an audit using criteria you select. Please be sure to select a Degree, Catalog term and Major along with any corresponding Minors orConcentrations. What-If audits do not guarantee that you will be able to major in the area you select. If you decide you'd like to change your major, contact theacademic advisor of the new major for information and instructions.

Q: Why am I receiving an error when I run a What-If scenario?

The What-If tool requires that you make a selection in the "Major" field. Failure to select a major will result in an error.

Q: Can my advisor see my What-- If scenario?

Since What-If scenarios are not stored in DegreeWorks, your advisor can only see your results if the two of you work through a What-If procedure together. You can also print a copy to show your advisor.


Q: What does the Graduation Calculator show?

The Graduation Calculator is a realistic view of whether you are able to obtain the graduation GPA you desire.

Q: What does the Term Calculator show?

The Term Calculator is useful in predicting what your end-of-term GPA will be, in relation to the course(s) you are enrolled for during the current semester.

Q: What does the Advice Calculator show?

The Advice Calculator allows you to see what letter grades you would need to achieve in order to raise your GPA.

Q: Are the calculated GPAs guaranteed?

No. All GPAs are estimates only, because they do not take into account if you are repeating any courses.