2016-2017 University Catalog

Home >> Academic Regulations>> Graduate Degrees>>



A person who has earned a baccalaureate degree and is working toward earning university credit hours is considered a graduate student.

The Graduate School receives and processes the application and any additional documentation. It also coordinates the evaluation of the application by the program or department Graduate Admissions Review Committee and informs the applicant of the final admission decision.

Applicants should check for other specific program admission requirements. Contact the Dean's Office in the College for additional information. Admission to any graduate program is granted by program or department Graduate Admissions Review Committees The student’s entire record will be considered including the completed application for admission, undergraduate overall GPA, upper level GPA, GPA in the discipline, a student narrative, letters of recommendation, GRE or GMAT scores (evaluated in compliance with HB 1641), interview, and professional and/or academic experience.

Students who are not in good standing, who wish to apply to a new graduate program, must be reviewed by the new program's program or department Graduate Admissions Review Committees.


Full admission may be granted to students who submit all required documentation and meet program requirements as determined by the Graduate Admissions Review Committee of the program or department.

Provisional admission
may be granted to students who have not submitted all supporting documentation or test scores. The students will be allowed to attend for one semester (i.e., enroll in up to 6 graduate semester credit hours and earn a 3.0 or better grade point average.) Provisional admission is not available for all degree programs and is not available for international students. Students should check with the chair of the department/division delivering the program to determine provisional admission availability.

Probationary admission
may be granted to students who have submitted all documents for admission but do not meet all requirements for full admission such as a low overall grade point average, low GRE/GMAT scores, failure to meet program or department requirements, or a lack of an appropriate background for the chosen program. Probationary status will be changed to full admission upon completion of 12 semester credit hours with a 3.0 or better overall graduate grade point average and once the student has met any additional requirements imposed by the department.

Conditional admission may be granted to students who have submitted all other documents for admission except official versions of transcripts and test scores. Conditional admission is not available for all degree programs and is not available for international students.

Deferment of admission
may be requested by students wishing to defer their offer of admission to a future term. They may make such requests by utilizing the Change of Entry Form available from the Graduate School.  Deferrals will only be granted for a term of up to one year from the offer of admissions and the degree that is being sought remains the same.  Students who defer their admission for more than one year will have to reapply. If the form is submitted after the 4th (for Summer) or 12th (for Fall/Spring) class day of the original term applied to, a new application fee will be required.

The College of Arts and Sciences (COAS) reviews applicants prior to the beginning of each long semester. Master program applicants for the MA in Counseling Psychology must submit satisfactory GRE scores to be admitted. Language, Literature, and Translation majors are required to take a departmentally administered examination. The biology and counseling psychology programs do not provisionally admit students.

The A. R. Sanchez, Jr. School of Business (ARSSB) Graduate Admissions Committee will make recommendations for admission into a master program based upon review of the applicant's portfolio, which must include, at a minimum, the applicant's upper level grade point average, standardized test scores (for those requiring to submit test scores), statement of purpose, résumé, and two letters of recommendation.  Applicant’s entire record will be reviewed in compliance with Texas HB 1641. Students admitted with conditions must satisfactorily complete those conditions to remain in graduate school.

The College of Education (COED) reviews applicants for admission to its graduate programs prior to the beginning of each semester. Applicants are reviewed on the basis of their completed application for graduate school, academic record as reflected on transcripts, letters of recommendation, interviews, and other relevant documentation. The College of Education, if looking to grant students an admission status, only grants full admission due to accreditation and state regulations.

The Canseco School of Nursing in the College of Nursing and Health Sciences (CNHS) reviews applicants in June prior to the beginning of graduate coursework in the Fall. All MSN program applicants must apply directly to the College of Nursing and Health Sciences. The Canseco School of Nursing does not provisionally admit students.

To be admitted to the University as a Graduate or Post-Graduate Student, an applicant must submit the following documentation to the Graduate School: (For additional requirements visit the following page: http://www.tamiu.edu/gradschool/ProgramAdmissionRequirements.shtml.

  1. Application for Graduate Admission
  2. Graduate Application Fee of $35.00; late fee, $25.00. International Graduate Student Application Fee of $50.00; late fee, $25.00. (Refer to Admissions Deadlines section).
  3. Official College/University Transcript(s) from institutions other than Texas A&M international University must be sent directly from each institution attended. Degree must be posted on transcript. The degree must be from a college or university of recognized standing with degrees from institutions outside the U.S. evaluated for equivalency to U.S. degrees.
  4. Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) scores are required only if pursuing certain degrees. Official test scores must be sent directly from Educational Testing Service (ETS) or Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC), and they must be dated within five years of enrollment. In programs requiring test scores, no full admission decision will be processed prior to the receipt of an official GRE or GMAT score.
    • Graduate programs in the College of Arts and Sciences do not require that applicants take the GRE, with the exception of the MA in Counseling Psychology.
    • The A. R. Sanchez, Jr. School of Business does not require standardized test scores (GRE, GMAT, Examen de Admisión, or EXANI III) for master program applicants whose undergraduate upper level grade point average is a 3.0 or higher or who have earned an advanced U.S. degree (masters, law, doctorate) or its equivalent from another country.  Students pursuing the MBA taught in Spanish and needing to submit standardized test scores may choose to take the Examen de Admisión or the EXANI III.  Doctoral applicants will be required to submit either GMAT or GRE scores. No admission decision will be made prior to the receipt of a GMAT or GRE score for doctoral applicants or master applicants needing to submit test scores.
    • The College of Education does not require the GRE.
    • The College of Nursing and Health Sciences does not require the GRE.
    • Applicants to individual colleges who have obtained a Master’s or Law degree from a regionally accredited institution may be exempt from the GRE.
  5. The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is required of all students having academic studies from a country where English is not the native language. A minimum TOEFL score of 79 (ibt TOEFL), 550 (Paper-based) or a 6.5 on the IELTS is required. These exam scores must be sent directly from the testing service and dated within two (2) years of enrollment. Residual TOEFL exams taken at another institution will not be accepted. (If seeking exemption from this submission refer to TOEFL EXEMPTIONS section for this information.)
  • For Ph.D. in International Business Administration applicants, a minimum TOEFL score of 100 (ibt TOEFL) or 600 (paper-based) or 7.0 on the IELTS is required for consideration for admission to the doctoral program; however, an applicant who has received a graduate degree from an Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) accredited U.S. institution within two years of the date of application may be exempt from this requirement.

Note: International students must also submit requirements listed under ADDITIONAL INTERNATIONAL STUDENT ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS.

A person who is not a citizen or Permanent Resident Alien of the United States is considered an International Student.
To be admitted as an International Student, an applicant must submit all of the required documentation according to the student's classification. (Refer to the GENERAL ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS section for this information). All international documents must be translated to English and submitted by the published deadline. In addition, International students must submit the following:

  • Official Certificate of Graduation, indicating the degree and date of completion, which must be translated to English and sent directly from the institution to the Graduate School. Students who graduated from Mexican institutions must present an original Titulo to be photocopied at the Graduate School. The Carta de Pasante will not be accepted.
  • A completed Financial Statement Form. This form requires official certification of sources of funds from the student.
  • Proof of sufficient Medical Insurance Coverage. The University requires each international student to have mandatory health insurance coverage while in the USA. The student should enroll in the University plan, Associated Insurance Plans International, Inc. (see website www.tamuinsurance.com). The university plan will cost approximately $702 to $2,998 per year. This coverage is the same for all Texas A&M University System schools. The student may enroll once arriving on campus or through the automated tuition and fee registration process.
  • A Bank Statement certifying the sponsor to have sufficient funds indicated on the Financial Statement Form and dated within six months of the first enrollment according to the dates listed below:
    • Fall Semester - January 1 or later
    • Spring Semester - May 1or later
    • Summer I - October 1 or later
    • Summer II November 1 or later
Immigration documents such as passport, I-p4 and I-20 ID or DS-2019 must be carried at all times. This is in compliance with the Immigration and Nationality Act, December 24, 1952, Section 264(e).

Contact the Office of Student Affairs for additional information at (956) 326-2282 or visit the office located in SC 226.
Note: Upon completion of the application process, successful applicants will be issued an I-20. Students with an F-1 Student Visa are required to enroll full-time at Texas A&M International University. International Students are required to report any change in status immediately to the University Foreign Student Advisor located in the Department of International Student Services. For more information regarding student visa requirements, please contact International Student Services by calling (956) 326-2282 or (956)326-2428.


A person who is earning university credits which are not applicable to a degree at Texas A&M International University is considered a special non-degree student. It is the policy of this institution to allow any student to enroll in any course for enrichment or other purpose, as long as the prerequisites are met or exceptions to these requirements are approved.

Individuals wishing to take courses for personal growth may register for up to twelve hours as non-degree seeking. These courses may not be applicable to a degree program.
Students classified under this category are not entitled to claim the prerogative of graduating under the provisions of the catalog in force at the time of initial enrollment. Students may, on their own initiative, request at any time to be reclassified as a regular degree-seeking student. An updated application for admission with a written request for reclassification should be submitted to the Graduate School. The student will then become responsible for satisfying the requirements of the catalog in force at the time of the request or any subsequent catalog within the established five-year period of limitation (six-years in the case of some master’s programs). For additional information call the Graduate School at (956)326-3020.

Students wishing to take graduate courses while they are enrolled as undergraduate students may submit an Undergraduate Enrollment in Graduate Course Form to the Graduate School to make this request.
A senior student in the last semester or summer session of undergraduate work may complete a normal load with graduate work as provided below:
• Must be within 15 semester credit hours of graduation
• Must have a 3.0 cumulative grade point average in upper-division work
• Must not enroll for more than 15 semester credit hours total and must not enroll for more than 6 semester credit hours of graduate work
• Cannot count work in graduate courses towards the bachelor’s degree. Graduate courses will be reserved for credit toward the graduate degree when fully accepted into a graduate program.
• Must have approval from the Department/Division Chair and the Dean of the College in which the work is offered.
For additional information or to access the Undergraduate Enrollment in Graduate Course Form, contact the Graduate School by phone at (956) 326-3020 or via e-mail at graduateschool@tamiu.edu.


    • One year of full-time academic studies (does not include developmental or ESL courses) at an accredited U. S. College or University with satisfactory grades OR
    • U. S. High School graduate who completed all high school requirements satisfactorily within 10 years of enrollment OR
    • When English is the official native language of the applicant's country OR
    • When Spanish is the official native language of the applicant's country and the student is pursuing the Master of Business Administration taught in Spanish or the Master of Arts with a major and minor in Spanish OR
    • Completion of level six with a grade of B or better from the International Language Institute at A&M International University, or from the Texas Intensive English Program (TIEP) affiliated with any of the Texas International Education Consortium (TIEC) member institutions OR
    • GRE Verbal score of 145 or higher and sent directly from ETS, taken within five years of enrollment (excludes Ph.D. in International Business applicants OR
    • GMAT Verbal score of 22 or higher and sent directly from ETS, taken within five years of enrollment (excludes Ph.D. in International Business applicants).
    • Applicants from the following countries do not need to submit a TOEFL score:

American Samoa







New Zealand



Canada (except Quebec)

Sierra Leone




United Kingdom

Grand Cayman

U.S. Pacific Trust

All students enrolled at Texas A&M International University in academic courses must meet the residency requirements as set by Texas State Law.

All students who are U. S. citizens or Permanent Resident Aliens or persons permitted by the U. S. Government to domicile under certain visas, and who have established a domicile in Texas, are eligible to pay in-state tuition if they meet all requirements as set forth in the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board's official publication, "Rules and Regulations-Residency Status." This publication may be obtained from the Residency Determining Officer(s) for the University at the Office of Admissions and the Graduate School. Information on these rules and regulations is also available at the THECB website at http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/.

All students coming from outside the state for the sole purpose of studying shall be classified as non-resident for the duration of their program. However, pursuant to Vernon's Texas Codes Annotated-Education Code, Section 54.052(e), "An individual who is 18 years of age or over who has come from outside Texas and who is gainfully employed in Texas for a 12-month period immediately preceding registration in an educational institution shall be classified as a resident student as long as he/she continues to maintain a legal residence in Texas.

The responsibility of enrolling under the proper status is placed on the student. Any attempt on the part of a non-resident to evade the non-resident fees will be taken seriously and may lead to expulsion from the University. Vernon's Texas Codes Annotated-Education Code, Section 54.061 states "The governing board of an institution of higher education may assess and collect from each non-resident student who fails to comply with the rules and regulations of the Board concerning non-resident fees a penalty not to exceed $10 a semester."
If a student has been erroneously classified as a non-resident and subsequently proves to the satisfaction of the Residency Determining Officer(s) of the University that he/she was entitled to Texas residency status, the classification will be corrected and the student will be entitled to a refund of the difference between in-state and non-resident fees for each semester in which he/she was erroneously classified.

Approval for reclassification of an enrolled student from non-resident to resident, or from resident to non-resident will be considered upon review of any proof presented to the Residency Determining Officer(s) which substantiates the need for the change. To receive approval the student must submit the proper documentation to the Office of Admissions or the Graduate School.

U. S. Military personnel and reservists stationed in Texas and their dependents are eligible to pay in-state tuition during their tour of duty in Texas. A verification of duty status form or letter from the military member's commanding or personnel officer must be submitted before enrolling as an in-state student. Any change in the duty status could necessitate a review of a previous decision.

Other exemptions have been approved by the State Legislature in recent years. Please visit the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board's web site at http://www.thecb.state.tx.us to find out about specific visas or early eligibility exemptions. For more detailed information on these exemptions or waivers call the Residency Determining Officer(s) at the Office of Admissions at (956)326-2200 or the Graduate School at (956) 326-3020.

Home - General Information - Student Services -
Academic Undergraduate Regulations -
Undergraduate Degrees - Academic Graduate Regulations -
Graduate Degrees - Course Descriptions - Faculty -
Appendix A - Appendix B - Appendix C - Appendix D