WHAT IS ADA?
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended, prohibits discrimination on the basis of a disability. TAMIU is committed to maintaining an accessible campus community and providing reasonable workplace accommodations under the ADA to qualified employees.
TAMIU ADA COORDINATOR
If you need an ADA workplace accommodation or need information regarding ADA, please contact the TAMIU ADA Coordinator (contact information below). Personal information that may be exchanged in an effort to receive a reasonable workplace accommodation under the ADA will be treated in a confidential manner.
Office of Compliance
5201 University Boulevard, Laredo, TX 78041-1900
Killam Library Building, Room 159
REPORTING AN ADA CONCERN
Texas A&M University System Regulation 08.01.02, Civil Rights Protections for Individuals with Disabilities protects against discrimination based on disability status. Employees may submit reports of discrimination based on a disability that involve accessibility to programs and facilities or discrimination in programs and activities to the ADA Coordinator, via Report It, via EthicsPoint, or to the Equal Opportunity Commission Office-San Antonio, Legacy Oaks, Building A, 5410 Fredericksburg Road, Suite 200, San Antonio, TX 78229, 1-800-669-4000.
If you are experiencing difficulty accessing a TAMIU location due to a disability, please contact the ADA Coordinator and identify the specific campus location and the access issue.
REQUESTING AN ADA WORKPLACE ACCOMMODATION
Employees submit requests for ADA workplace accommodations to the ADA Coordinator. A meeting will be scheduled with the ADA Coordinator to discuss the process. You may be asked for additional information so that your request can be directed to the appropriate office(s) for response. Some requests may involve the services of more than one office. The ADA Coordinator will assist in coordinating the services provided by other offices. The following outlines the process:
- Review the current position description and determine the essential functions of the job which you cannot do or can do only with difficulty.
- Complete the ADA Workplace Accommodation Request - Employee Form to include information about your disability and the requested accommodation.
- Submit the completed ADA Workplace Accommodation Request - Employee Form to the ADA Coordinator.
- Meet with the ADA Coordinator to discuss the request process and determine if an Authorization for Limited Release of Medical Information is necessary.
- Attach the current position description to the ADA Workplace Accommodation Request - Medical Provider Form, have the medical provider complete the form fully, and ensure the form is submitted to the ADA Coordinator.
Medical Provider Responsibilities
- Review the essential functions of the job based upon the current position description that is attached to the ADA Workplace Accommodation Request - Medical Provider Form.
- Fully complete and sign the form called ADA Workplace Accommodation Request - Medical Provider Form and return it to the employee or the TAMIU ADA Coordinator.
ADA Coordinator Responsibilities
- Review with the employee the request process and determine if an Authorization for Limited Release of Medical Information is necessary.
- Provide and explain to the employee the ADA Workplace Accommodation Request - Employee Form and the ADA Workplace Accommodation Request - Medical Provider Form.
- Provide confirmation of receipt of the workplace accommodation request.
- Review the 2 completed forms and determine:
- If the individual has a disability as defined by the ADA;
- If the employee is a qualified person with a disability;
- Whether or not the requested workplace accommodation is reasonable;
- Whether or not the requested workplace accommodation will enable the employee to meet the essential functions of the job; and
- Whether or not there are other reasonable accommodations that are equally effective.
- Notify the employee in writing of the determination and follow up as needed and appropriate.
Office of Compliance
Killam Library, Room 159
5201 University Boulevard
Laredo, Texas 78041
Telephone: (956) 326-2855
Facsimile: (956) 326-2359