International Travel

International Travel

Before Leaving the United States:  

University coordinated student international travel should be requested through the Office of International Engagement .  Foreign travel by employees traveling on University business may be permitted with the approval of the appropriate VP and the President.  

  • Employees traveling internationally should continue to seek CDC and A&M System guidance on quarantine and testing 
  • Before leaving the United States: 
    • Travelers should be encouraged to get a viral test as close to the time of departure as possible (no more than 3 days) before travel. 
      • Travelers should know their test results before travel.
      • Travelers are not to travel if the test result is positive

After Arrival in the United States:

UAt this time, anyone traveling internationally should self-monitor for COVID-19 symptoms.  If symptoms develop, they should stay home and get tested as soon as possible. 

All travelers must: 

1.  Get tested for COVID-19 3-5 days after arrival to the United States

  • Negative Test - resume activities
  • Positive Test - students must report test result directly to the Office of Student Health Services for further instruction; employees must report test result directly to the Office of Human Resources for further instruction.

2.  Stay home and self-quarantine for 10 days after travel if they do not test.

3.  Monitor for symptoms of COVID-19. 


*International travel includes travel to México other than to Nuevo Laredo, Tamaulipas, México. Travel beyond Nuevo Laredo is considered International travel.

Thank you for supporting our efforts to help keep both TAMIU and our community safe.

Please travel safely and be well.


Students planning to study abroad are strongly encouraged to purchase travel insurance. Travel insurance is separate from the required medical insurance and provides partial or full reimbursement in the event your trip must be canceled. The University will not be responsible for any lost deposits or travel expenses resulting from canceled trips.