The mission of the GEAR UP program is to significantly increase the number of low-income students who are prepared to enter and succeed in postsecondary education.
- Improving the academic performance
During the 2016-2017 school year, there were 8397 GEAR UP high school seniors, of which 96 percent (8059) graduated from participating school districts
Graduates were: 43% graduated with the State of Texas Distinguished Achievement Diploma Program, 40% graduated with Texas Recommended High School Diploma Program, 7% graduated with Minimum High School Diploma Program and lastly, 8% graduated under the new Foundation High School Program.
As further evidence of improving student academic performance, the college student survey indicates:
- Ninety-six percent (96%) of the college students reported that they were able to keep up with their college coursework.
- Ninety-two percent (92%) indicated that they were prepared when taking tests in their college courses.
- Seventy-seven percent (77%) of the students in college reported that the GEAR UP activities for first-year college students helped prepare them to be more successful in college.
- The large majority of the students now in college, reported that participating in the GEAR UP tutoring for Math and English during or just prior to their current first year at college was “helpful/very helpful" and contributed to their success in college (Math: 85%, English: 86%).
Map of Colleges
GEAR UP IV
CREATING A VISION FOR THE WORLD OF POSSIBILITIES
The GEAR UP IV Creating A Vision project is a partnership grant between Texas A&M International University and 19 school districts throughout the southern part of Texas covering approximately 14,792 square miles.
20 SCHOOL DISTRICTS
35 MIDDLE SCHOOL / JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL CAMPUSES (YR. 1 -2)
31 HIGH SCHOOL / EARLY COLLEGE HS CAMPUSES (YR. 3 - 6)
38+ Institutions of Higher Education (YR. 7)
THE G4 VISION
Graduate from High School!
Go to College!
Graduate from College!
Get a Career!
|PREP-Rally||Kick-Off to College|
|Robotics Competition||Essay Contest 2015||Essay Contest 2016|
Follow us online for additional activities, videos and pictures
School District Partners
Institutions of Higher Education
Ben Bolt - Palito Blanco ISD
Carrizo Springs ISD
Crystal City ISD
Eagle Pass ISD
Jim Hogg County ISD
La Joya ISD
La Pryor ISD
Orange Grove ISD
San Diego ISD
Texas A&M International University
Laredo Community College
Del Mar College
Coastal Bend College
University of Houston
University of Houston - Victoria
Southwest Texas Junior College
South Texas College
Other In-State and Out-of-State universities
|Ms. Scheiby Fisher||Executive Directoremail@example.com||(956) 326-2720|
|Ms. Ana M. Gonzalez||Director, GEAR UPfirstname.lastname@example.org||(956) 326-3165|
|Mr. Efrain Sanchez||Regional Directoremail@example.com||(956) 326-3061|
|Ms. Angelica Gomez||Site Coordinatorfirstname.lastname@example.org||(956) 326-3169|
|Ms. Carmen Aquino||Site Coordinatoremail@example.com||(956) 326-3167|
|Ms. Luz Contreras||Administrative Associatefirstname.lastname@example.org||(956) 326-2766|
|Ms. Evelyn Gomez||Administrative Associateemail@example.com||(956) 326-3065|