- Determine in advance the total number of drinks that you will drink and do not exceed that number. Pace yourself - set a pace of one or fewer drinks per hour. Avoid drinking games – they cause you to drink too much too fast. Never leave your drink unattended.
- Eat a meal before drinking, preferably with protein, and snack throughout the night. Drink water in between drinks. Do not mix alcohol with energy drinks or consume caffeine alcoholic beverages.
- Go out with your friends, and go home with your friends. Use a sober designated driver or have a plan for how you will get home. Have enough cab money or download Uber/Lyft before you travel.
When You're Out and About
- If traveling abroad be aware of international laws and regulations.
- Always be aware of your surroundings and keep your phone charged for emergency phone calls/texts.
- Share your contact information and plans and check in with your friends every 20-30 minutes. Enter important numbers (i.e., cab companies/shuttles) into your phone. Download apps like Uber or Lyft before traveling.
- Use sunscreen that covers UVA and UVB rays with an SPF of 15 or higher. Apply 1oz (approximately a shot glass amount) 30 minutes before first sun exposure and reapply every 2 hours.
- Wear a hat and sunglasses when out in the sun and limit sun exposure between 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. when the sun’s rays are most intense.