Congratulations Fall 2016 Student Teachers
Becoming a Classroom Teacher in Texas
There are five requirements to become a certified teacher.
- Obtain a Bachelor’s Degree - You must earn a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Complete an Educator Preparation Program - You must complete an Approved Educator Preparation Program. If you do not hold a degree you must complete a university program. If you hold a degree you may contact an Alternative Certification Program or Post Baccalaureate program .
Resources to Help Pay for Educator Preparation
- Pass Certification Exams - You must pass the appropriate teacher certification exams. Contact your program for exam approval.
- Submit a State Application – You must apply to be certified after all requirements are met. Do not apply until you have verified with your program that you are eligible.
- Complete Fingerprinting – All first-time applicants must be fingerprinted as part of a national criminal background check.
| Exam Code
||Name of Exam
|064 or 195
Texas Examinations for Master Teacher (TExMaT)
|Master Reading Teacher (MRT)