Starting Monday March 30, 2020, all student organizations may start holding meetings, educational activities, etc. in a VIRTUAL environment. At this time, student organizations may not hold any event that is in-person. This includes fundraisers. No fundraisers may be held that involve food and all fundraisers must be held in a virtual format. All fundraisers must be approved by SOLE. As a reminder, all student organization travel is still suspended until further notice. This is done to ensure the safety of all TAMIU students.
For more information, click the resources below for office hours, meeting alternatives and more.
Our office will be open with normal business hours.
Monday: 8:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.
Tuesday: 8:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.
Wednesday: 8:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.
Thursday: 8:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.
Friday: 8:00 A.M. - 3:00 P.M.
Student organization leaders and advisors,
Given that there is still business that needs to be completed for the remainder of the school year, we have the following announcements.
3. The SOLE Office is open for business, even if we may not physically be in the office. All staff are available to answer all of your questions. Please setup an appointment with SOLE staff before you come to campus.
a. The University is following all restrictions on gatherings and social distancing as recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and other authorities. This will impact access and numbers of people permitted in University spaces. It is advised that you contact our office in advance by phone, email or website to determine any additional changes or restrictions that may be applied.
4. Student organization registration will occur as was previously scheduled. Please see the attached email we sent out. As a reminder, the renewal period will automaticallyopen Monday, April 6th at 8:00 a.m. and close Friday, April 24th at 11:59 p.m. FAILURE TO SUBMIT will result in the non-renewal of your organization. There will be NO EXCEPTIONS.
5. Access to the Leadership Lab has been removed effectively immediately. Please schedule an appointment with SOLE Staff to remove your belongings (if you would like to). Please note that you can keep the materials safely stored until things return to normal. The location is locked and no outside entity has access to this.
6. Student organization community service requirements (as a reminder that each organization must complete 50 hours of community service each academic year) has been extended to August 15, 2020. You will have until that date to complete this requirement. Failure to complete this requirement will result in your organization being placed in a frozen status.
7. If you have any additional questions related to this crisis and university response, please visit our website at https://www.tamiu.edu/coronavirus/index.shtml.
There will be additional announcements and questions that may arise related to your student organization. We are more than happy to address those and ensure that your unique TAMIU Experience continues to be a success. Remember, #TAMIUTOGETHER.
Feel free to schedule an appointment with SOLE staff to connect. Let’s stay connected!
Set Up a Virtual Meeting
All student face-to-face private meetings with SOLE staff are suspended. To set up a virtual meeting click on the name of the person you would like to speak with.
What is WebEx?
WebEx is an online cloud-based conferencing service. Along with conventional telephone (voice/audio) conferencing, WebEx allows for web-based conferencing in a collaborative session sharing audio, video, and desktop. Participants may attend a meeting by telephone, on their computer, or via iPhone, iPad, and other mobile devices.
WebEx Video Tutorials.
At TAMIU, there are countless ways to get involved. With over 100 active student clubs and organizations and multiple leadership opportunities, there is something that can help you reach your personal goals each semester.
Your journey to excellence at TAMIU starts at New Student Orientation. Here, you will be introduced to all of the opportunities you can take advantage of while at TAMIU.
We invite you to stop by our office and the newly renovated Leadership Labs in Student Center 224 and 229 so we can meet with you one on one to discuss your interests and help you find your place at TAMIU.
New Student Orientation provides a unique experience that will help you adjust to the rigors of college life. This experience will allow you to immerse yourself in the Dustdevil life. Orientation will assist with any questions you may have about financial aid, housing, academic expectations, and student involvement as a first year students at TAMIU. TAMIU offers orientation programs for new freshmen, transfer and international students. In addition, new freshmen can include their parents and family in an orientation program designed to compliment their orientation program.
At TAMIU, we offer over 100 clubs and organizations - most of which are led completely by students. These groups allow you to meet people with similar interests, develop your leadership skills and build your resume. In today's world, its not enough to just get your degree. The experience you get outside the classroom can supplement your coursework to appeal to future employers. Besides, who wouldn't want to spend their time with people who have similar goals, experiences and dreams!
You have the capacity to be an exceptional leader. At TAMIU, we have the resources to get you there. From our Freshman Leadership Organization to the Minor in International Leadership, there is an experience that can compliment each semester of your studies. Leadership programs allow you to discover your personal values, gain confidence in public speaking and provided you with skills to help you in the professional world. The Office of Student Orientation, Leadership and Engagement (SOLE) aims to foster the development of leaders who are: Value Oriented, Critically Thinking, Tolerant, Self- Aware and Civically Engaged.
Our campus is rich with tradition. Our annual events connect you to your Dustdevil family and allow you to relieve stress between classes. Popular events include the Campus Activities Board Loteria Night, Tree Lighting Ceremony and the Pre-Exam Jam!
All events are free and open to students. Many events, such as the annual Halloween Festival and City of Laredo Movie Nights are open to the public and serve as a great time to bring your loved ones to campus.