Quick Links: Training | Equipment & Book Check Out | FAQs | Best Practices
There are many distance learning resources available for TAMIU faculty on campus. This page has a summary of some of those resources as well as some other helpful tidbits of information.
We provide opportunities for faculty to learn how to use instructional technologies in their distance learning courses and in their research. Workshops may be found on our OIT Professional Development site. We offer a full range of support, maintenance, and training for both instructional services and course development, including:
- Workshops offered at no cost with hands-on training.
- Training and assistance at OIT, designated training rooms or instructor offices.
- Personal consultations in rooms with equipment for instructors to use.
- Technical support for LMS and other instructional software.
- Training for entire departments and LMS orientations for students.
- Informational handouts and other online resources, such as:
Our training topics emphasize instructional design and multimedia development that facilitate distance learning. Supported software and instructional devices include, but are not limited to:
- Learning Management System (LMS)
- LMS Overview
- LMS workshops include but are not limited to Navigation, Assessments, Rubrics and Gradebook.
- Adobe Connect
- Adobe Presenter
- Camtasia & SnagIt
- ECHO 360
- ECHO 360 captures class lectures and converts them into podcasts, video, rich media and more for anytime, anywhere playback. If you would like your lecture captures transcribed, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for requesting transcriptions.
- Use Photo Story 3 for Windows to create visually compelling and fun stories using your pictures and music.
- "Portfolios collect and organize pieces of work completed over time. They are compilations of work with a general purpose or goal to showcase progress and achievement." - Blackboard website
- TurnItIn is an easy-to-use Web-based application that can be used to help detect and prevent plagiarism. Best of all TurnItIn is integrated into the eLearning LMS.
- Learn More >>
- "VoiceThread bridges the gap between real-time discussions and standard video lectures or online presentations. This makes VoiceThread the platform for teaching, learning, training, and collaborating, on-demand." - VoiceThread website
- Learn More >>
Although walk-ins are welcome, instructors are encouraged to set up appointments to ensure that necessary resources, materials, and training staff are available for assistance. To request an appointment, email us at email@example.com or contact us at 956.326.2792.
For a list of upcoming workshops, please visit: https://trainings.tamiu.edu.
Open Educational Resources