Director of Academic Technology
Quality Matters Coordinator
KLM 259 A
Dr. Abrego provides vision, leadership and coordination in the effective use of instructional technologies used in distance education, interactive media, classroom instructional technologies and web-based instruction. She supervises the Instructional Technology and Distance Education Services staff including the instructional technology coordinators and the media services groups.
- Ph.D. Educational Administration, Texas A&M University, 2009
- M.S. Educational Administration, Texas A&M-Kingsville, 2001
Publications & Presentations
- Ábrego, Patricia. (2019, October 15) “Lessons Learned and Benefits Gained: TAMIU’s QM Certification Story”, Retrieved from https://www.qualitymatters.org/qa-resources/resource-center/articles-resources/TAMIU-QM-certification-story
- Bernat, F., & Ábrego, Patricia C. (2019). Using Technology in Online Courses. Distance Learning, 16(1), 7-19.
- “Rapid Assessment of Assignments Using Plagiarism Detection Software,” (with Whitney R. Bischoff, DrPH, RN), Nurse Educator, 36, 2011.
- “Meeting the needs of rural communities through the use of interactive collaboration,” USDLA conference, 2010.
- “Perceptions of campus administrators, teachers, and students on the use of interactive videoconference for the delivery of Algebra I in selected high schools in South Texas,” unpublished dissertation, 2009.
- “Technology on the U.S./Mexico Border: Improving Teaching, Improving Learning,” Multimedia Schools, October, 2003.
- Recipient, Outstanding Employee Service Award at TAMIU, 2013
- Peer Reviewer Course, Quality Matters
- Master Reviewer Certification (MRC), Quality Matters
- Applying the QM Rubric (APPQMR), Quality Matters
- Creating A Foundation With Learning Objectives (Standard 2), Quality Matters
- Connecting Learning Objectives and Assessments (Standards 2 & 3), Quality Matters
- Area 1 Director, Texas Computer Education Association (TCEA)
- Member, United States Distance Learning Association (USDLA)
- Member, Texas Distance Learning Association (TxDLA)
Office of Information Technology
Instructional Technology & Distance Education Services
Killam Library, Room 259
Phone: (956) 326-2792
Fax: (956) 326-2299